From: George D. Hadden
Subject: xlisp 21g for windows ce
i've got some windows ce software to GIVE away!  (this may look
familiar - i offered this in december and then discovered the gc bug
described below.  i didn't get a lot of response anyway :-}.)

here's the deal:

1) xlisp version 2.1g.  i used the xlisp 1.6 ported by mark oskin as a
starting point.  version 2.1g is quite a bit more like common lisp.
it includes, for instance, the lambda list extensions (e.g.
&optional, &rest), macros, backquote, format, separate namespaces for
functions and symbol values, etc.

the first handheld program i wrote was an astronomy program (see
below).  this turned out to be a lot more convenient to use if lisp
had some idea of what the time and date were.  so i added these
functions plus a couple of others to the xlisp code.  here they are:

(time)       returns the time as a fixnum:  hhmmss
(date)       returns the date as a fixnum:  yyyymmdd
(seed <n>)   seed the random number generator with a fixnum <n>,
             returns <n>
(sleep <n>)  sleeps for <n> (a fixnum) milliseconds, returns nil

the rest is as documented by david betz, tom almy, and luke tierney.

i also extended the printf that mark wrote to handle more (not all
yet) settings for the *float-format* and *integer-format* variables.

technical note: i had a real tough time getting a particular bug out
of this program.  the xlsave and the xlsave1 macros are supposed to
protect things from the garbage collector.  however, the visual c++
compiler in release mode decided to optimize away the part where the
protected value gets set to NIL.  this causes horrible and sporadic
garbage collector bugs.  since i have 95, not nt, i'm stuck with
"printf debugging" (the remote debugging only works on nt).  wah wah
wah :-).  turning off optimizations fixed the problem.

2) the astronomy program is an xlisp implementation of most of peter
duffett-smith's book, "practical astronomy with your calculator, 3e",
including the matrix manipulation.  sun, moon, and planet positions
can be calculated.  it's a work in progress -- i haven't added setting
and rising calculations yet -- have fun!

3) i also have an xlisp science fiction story writing program that
originally implemented a gahan wilson story and was subsequently
modified by me, tim finin, and evelyn orr.

other xlisp compatible programs and documentation are available from
the xlisp web site:

http://www.teleport.com/~almy/xlisp.html

if i get much of a response to this, i'll look into posting the code
on a windows ce friendly web site.

-geo
---
George D. Hadden, PhD, Senior Research Fellow
Honeywell Technology Center, 3660 Technology Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55418
······@htc.honeywell.com, (612)951-7769(voice), (612)951-7438(fax)

From: Aleksandar Bakic
Subject: Re: xlisp 21g for windows ce
George D. Hadden wrote:

> i've got some windows ce software to GIVE away!  (this may look
> familiar - i offered this in december and then discovered the gc bug
> described below.  i didn't get a lot of response anyway :-}.)
>
> here's the deal:
[...]

Great! But where can I find Xlisp executable for Velo 1?..

Thanks,
Aleksandar
From: Jim Cricket
This is excellent stuff! I would love to see the source.

Thanks,
Jim

From: peter olsen
I would be very interested in Xlisp for my Velo.  Right now, I
use it mainly as an alarm clock, with my day-to-day scheduling
on my PalmPilot.  Being able to write my own programs for it
would make it much more useful.

Peter Olsen

Peter Olsen, P.E. ········@draper.com  410-997-8584/301-596-8455 (FAX)
    Engineering is the art of applying a professional knowledge of
 mathematics and the physical sciences to improve the quality of life.
From: Phil Stratton
From: Samuel Eickelberg
Yes, definitely! I'd really like to do some "serious" functional
programming using Common Lisp, so this would be a great step towards that.
--

Samuel

Computer Science Dept. / Fachbereich Informatik
Technical University / Technische Universit�t Berlin
email : ·····@cs.tu-berlin.de

--->  Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.  <---