From: Chang Cheng Chao
Subject: Does Common Lisp have a socket library?
Hi, everyone, does Common Lisp have a socket library. If it does, how do I
import it? I need it to output data from Lisp to Java in order to display
it in a web-browser. Thanks for your help.

Chang

From: David J Cooper Jr
Subject: Re: Does Common Lisp have a socket library?

Chang Cheng Chao wrote:

> Hi, everyone, does Common Lisp have a socket library. If it does, how do I
> import it? I need it to output data from Lisp to Java in order to display
> it in a web-browser. Thanks for your help.
>
> Chang

 If all you need to do is display info in a web browser, cl-http
(http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html)   might be
your ticket.

  I would also be interested to know what people are using for actual
Java-Lisp client-server connections, there must be better things than
low-level socket programming though.

  I know ICAD (based on Allegro CL) is doing a Java API using Orbix CORBA
Orb, but I think it's pretty specific to ICAD as it will include a Java3D
geometry viewer and other things.  There must be something similar brewing
somewhere for standard CL though (maybe as part of cl-http -- they claim Java
support, but I haven't yet looked into what they actually mean by that).

--
David J. Cooper Jr.                                 Genworks International
········@genworks.com                               http://www.genworks.com

  "...Embracing an Open Systems approach to Knowledge-based Engineering..."

--------------607103E81BD72389B666F250

<HTML>
Chang Cheng Chao wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi, everyone, does Common Lisp have a socket library.
If it does, how do I
<BR>import it? I need it to output data from Lisp to Java in order to display
<BR>it in a web-browser. Thanks for your help.

<P>Chang</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;If all you need to do is display info in a web browser, cl-http (<A HREF="http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html">http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html)</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;
might be your ticket.

<P>&nbsp; I would also be interested to know what people are using for
actual Java-Lisp client-server connections, there must be better things
than low-level socket programming though.

<P>&nbsp; I know ICAD (based on Allegro CL) is doing a Java API using Orbix
CORBA Orb, but I think it's pretty specific to ICAD as it will include
a Java3D geometry viewer and other things.&nbsp; There must be something
similar brewing somewhere for standard CL though (maybe as part of cl-http
-- they claim Java support, but I haven't yet looked into what they actually
mean by that).
<BR>&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
David J. Cooper Jr.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Genworks International
········@genworks.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.genworks.com">http://www.genworks.com</A>

&nbsp; "...Embracing an Open Systems approach to Knowledge-based Engineering..."</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------607103E81BD72389B666F250--
From: Erik Naggum
* Chang Cheng Chao
| Hi, everyone, does Common Lisp have a socket library.  If it does, how do
| I import it?  I need it to output data from Lisp to Java in order to
| display it in a web-browser.  Thanks for your help.

  which Common Lisp implementation do you use?  for Allegro CL for Unix,
  you will find a socket library at ftp.franz.com in /pub/socket.

  the CLX sources come with a simple foreign function interface to socket
  code in C, and I expect all Lisp implementations to have CLX ported to
  them.  this could be a start if you can't find a full-fledged library.

#:Erik