From: Sashank Varma
Subject: text of a recent talk by Steele
i ran across the following url on comp.lang.java.advocacy:
     http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/steele-oopsla98.ps
it's apparently the text of a talk delivered by Guy Steele at
a recent java conference.  it ranges over a number of topics
near and dear the hearts of lispers, including:

- why large languages are better than small languages, and
  languages that can grow from small to large are the best.
  he offers lisp as an example of such a language.

- gabriel's maxim that worse is better, and a citation of
  scheme

- cathedral and bazaar models of software development

- christopher alexander's work, and the design patterns movement

- proposed extensions to the java language, mostly OOP-oriented,
  including the revelation that "polymorphism" is a misnomer

- programming as the art of writing tools that simplify the
  construction of future programs

it also includes the kind of interesting examples and conceits
that make Steele such a pleasure to read.

sashank

From: ········@poboxes.com
Subject: Re: text of a recent talk by Steele
In article <·······················@129.59.192.40>,
  ······@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu (Sashank Varma) wrote:
> i ran across the following url on comp.lang.java.advocacy:
>      http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/steele-oopsla98.ps
> it's apparently the text of a talk delivered by Guy Steele at
> a recent java conference.
(...)

Thank you for posting this.  It is an interesting paper indeed.

Two asides:

(1) The text of the paper has a peculiarity, and one might try to
determine what it is as a sort of a mental exercise.  This is explained
on page 3, so only the first two pages should be examined for this
`problem.'

(2) Steele writes that there is a legal requirement to use the
full phrase, `Java programming language.'  In YABA mode, this
becomes JPL, which also means Jet Propulsion Laboratory.  Also,
JPL sounds like the next in line after JCL.  (Why next in line?
Using the BCPL sequence.)  Whatever...

Have  a nice day or night,
Vassil.

--
Vassil Nikolov
http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov

>(2) Steele writes that there is a legal requirement to use the
>full phrase, `Java programming language.'  In YABA mode, this
>becomes JPL, which also means Jet Propulsion Laboratory.  Also,
>JPL sounds like the next in line after JCL.  (Why next in line?
>Using the BCPL sequence.)  Whatever...

Is Java a trademark?  I believe the US rule on trademarks is that they're
supposed to be used as adjectives, e.g. Macintosh computer, Kellogg's Corn
Flakes, etc.  If the owner of the Java trademark (i.e. Sun and its
employees) doesn't follow this rule, they risk losing its trademark status.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.
From: Vassil Nikolov
Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <············@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <········@poboxes.com> wrote:
> >(2) Steele writes that there is a legal requirement to use the
> >full phrase, `Java programming language.' (...)
>
> Is Java a trademark?  I believe the US rule on trademarks is that they're
> supposed to be used as adjectives, e.g. Macintosh computer, Kellogg's Corn
> Flakes, etc.  If the owner of the Java trademark (i.e. Sun and its
> employees) doesn't follow this rule, they risk losing its trademark status.

On page 3 of Steele's paper:

  _Java_ is a brand name for a computer programming language. (...) (I have
  to say the full phrase ``Java programming language,'' for there is a guy
  who works where I do who deals with the laws of marks of trade, and he
  told me I have to say it that way.)

As to US rules on trademarks, unfortunately I know next to nothing.

Have a nice day or night,
Vassil.
From: Will Fitzgerald
Yes, Java is tradmarked by Sun.

From <http://www.sun.com/share/text/SMICopyright.html> :

... Java, HotJava, JavaScript, the Java Coffee Cup Logo, JavaWorld, and all
Java-based trademarks and logos ... are trademarks or registered trademarks
of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries.

Barry Margolin asked ...