From: rusty craine
Subject: DOS 7, lisp32 - I lost your email address
I have had a couple of email questions about win95, dos7 and lisp. I was
cleaning up my drive today and lost their addresses.  So with your
indulgenace I'll post this in the NG, sorry.

If you wish your windows 95 to boot directly to DOS 7 so you can go to
your lisp programming platform without going thru a DOS window in win95
or the restart to DOS, here is what you do.  You can down load
powertools for windows 95 from microsoft, when installed it puts
"tweakgi" in your control panel.  You can set this to boot directly to
DOS.  Or you can edit msdos.sys.  It is in your root with attributes
hrsa.  Change these so you can edit the file.  With your editor change
BootGUI=1 to BootGUI=0 in the file and save it..  That is all I had to
change.  I reset the file attritubes to hrsa to protect it.  The system
now boots directly to DOS 7.  When you want to go to windows just type
win at the prompt like ya did back in windows 3.1.   Mr Gate's claims
that windows is now an operating system are grossly exagerated, the
thing still runs over DOS.

I use VIM 5.1 and muLisp32 with DOS 7 but have download and set up both
clisp and xlisp. They both ran without any trouble.  I understand from a
posting from this group that a version of emacs will run in 32 bit DOS
but haven't tried it.

If you need help with changing the file attributes of msdos.sys so that
you can edit it email me your address again and i'll help you.  It is a
hidden file so it does not show up in explorer or "dir".  btw Don't
change the length of msdos.sys it needs to be 1024 bytes.  As i recall
the file is padded with X's to the proper length.

Sorry I  lost your addresses
Rusty
From: rusty craine
Subject: Re: DOS 7, lisp32 - I lost your email address
rusty craine wrote:

> I use VIM 5.1 and muLisp32 with DOS 7 but have download and set up both
> clisp and xlisp. They both ran without any trouble.  I understand from a
> posting from this group that a version of emacs will run in 32 bit DOS
> but haven't tried it.

Sorry! In re-reading my posting, the above statement is very misleading
(well just not true).  VIM 5.2 and muLisp32 must be ran with win95 active.
To my knowledge DOS 7 will just run 16 bit porgrams without a 32 bit
emulator.   The above should read ...VIM 5.1 and muLisp32 for win95...
not DOS 7.  Both xlisp and clisp in 32 bit will need win95 active.

Rusty