From: David Steuber
Subject: Doh!
Don't you hate it when you are using a different news reader from what
you are used to, and you accidently _mail_ replies instead of
_posting_ followups?

I wonder what Erik Naggum thought when reading an email to him,
written as though it was posted to the group, but wasn't?  I think the
word begins with an 'm' or an 'i'.  Well, it would in English.

From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: Doh!
* David Steuber <········@david-steuber.com>
| I wonder what Erik Naggum thought when reading an email to him, written
| as though it was posted to the group, but wasn't?

  I have only been waiting for them to show up on the newsgroup, figuring
  they were one of those annoying copies by mail.  happens a lot.  I tend
  to wait a few days before responding to what might have been a copy of a
  posted article.  do you want them returned?  (can I correct them first? :)

#:Erik
--
  Nie wieder KrF!  Nie wieder KrF!  Nie wieder KrF!  Nie wieder KrF!
From: David Steuber
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:

> * David Steuber <········@david-steuber.com>
> | I wonder what Erik Naggum thought when reading an email to him, written
> | as though it was posted to the group, but wasn't?
>
>   I have only been waiting for them to show up on the newsgroup, figuring
>   they were one of those annoying copies by mail.  happens a lot.  I tend
>   to wait a few days before responding to what might have been a copy of a
>   posted article.  do you want them returned?  (can I correct them first? :)

Do as you wish :-)

I don't think I asked any important technical questions.  IIRC, I sent
you something on that people are mean thread that was otherwise
unimportant.

My clue that I screwed up was I got a bounced message.  I was rather
puzzled by it because I didn't realize I mailed anything.  I think I
got hooked on 'R' for replying in VM, which I've done a lot of
lately.  I am making a conscious effort to do 'F', or in the case of
another followup that didn't need a bunch of quoting, even though it
held very useful information, 'f'.

So, do you drive a Volvo, and what do you do when someone cuts you
off? :-)  Off course, this question is predicated on you driving a car
rather than using public transit which seems to be more advanced in
Europe than in the US.  I would also be very surprised if the majority
of Norwegians drove Volvos when it is so obvious that SAABs are better
<eg>.
From: Erik Naggum
* David Steuber <········@david-steuber.com>
| So, do you drive a Volvo, and what do you do when someone cuts you off?
| :-)  Off course, this question is predicated on you driving a car rather
| than using public transit which seems to be more advanced in Europe than
| in the US.  I would also be very surprised if the majority of Norwegians
| drove Volvos when it is so obvious that SAABs are better <eg>.

  no, I don't drive a car in Norway.  I don't think anybody should.  (pet
  peeve alert!)  they should instead go on strike (as I have done) against
  the oppressive taxes levied on car owners and users.  if you want a nice
  new car, 85% of the retail price is taxes paid to the government.  (which
  is OK, really, compared to the 92% taxes paid on 60% Koskenkorva (vodka),
  which retails at NOK 294 for 500 ml, or USD 39.50 for 17 fl oz.)  when I
  had already decided against wasting USD 2,500 - USD 3,000 on a driver's
  license when it could be spent on computers, discovering what a racket
  the Government was running on car owners and users, no way I would help
  finance them.  Norway, being a pretty solid oil-producing country, also
  has _really_ expensive gasoline, most of it due to heavy taxation.  we'll
  top NOK 8.00 per liter come next year because the blessed religious-block
  government raised taxes even more.  that's more than USD 4.75 a gallon.
  oh, and the sales tax is 23%.  yeah, Norwegians put up with it.  I guess
  we're a _really_ stupid, gullible people.

  so when public transport is quite reasonable and taxi charges are so low
  there's a noticeable shortage of drivers _and_ business-related use is
  tax deductible, which using your own car effectively isn't (because they
  assume you use it more privately), I'd have to spend more than USD 17,000
  a year on car-substitute activities (taxi, home delivery of various goods
  and food, etc) to even defend the acquisition, but it's easy to cut down
  on such variable costs if you want something else that's really expensive
  (which I do a lot), but if you _have_ a nice car, you're basically locked
  in to using it and being happy with it.  I know I couldn't trade all my
  other desires in for a stupid vehicle, so I decided against it.  (most
  people have car loans, of course, so they pay for it twice, even though
  they buy a used car, so we have Europe's oldest car fleet.)  whereas cars
  give people freedom in most reasonable places on earth, _not_ having a
  car gives you freedom in Norway.  yeah, it's sick.

  Norway, it's a great country to visit.  (bring your own bottle.)

#:Erik, who's trying to figure out which topic this could be "on"
From: rusty craine
Erik Naggum wrote:

>   oh, and the sales tax is 23%.  yeah, Norwegians put up with it.  I guess
>   we're a _really_ stupid, gullible people.

It also comments on the basic honesty of the Norwegians, very commendably.  If
it were the States it would be a capitalistic opportunity.  Some of the
America's  "finest families" got their start as "Rum runners"......from "Rum
runners" to president in just a generation.

I'll be glade to send you my family recipe for "cooking corn" [moon shine].
Seems my family ran a rather large illlegal wiskey still during prohibition
times.   "Naggum's Norwegian Corn Wiskey" got a nice ring to it.  Just think
Erick, if you were illegal enough your off spring would be president [or what
ever the Norwegian chief executive is].

This would be a great muLisp application.  You could automate the process, from
fermenation to distillation.  I've already got the program written to control
the distillation temps.  We will have to give the fermenation controll program
some tought.

Rusty

PS I'll take two liters....to use medicinal of course!
From: ········@poboxes.com
Subject: Re: Norway's `chief executive' (Ex: Re: Doh!)
In article <·················@flash.net>,
  rusty craine <········@flash.net> wrote:
(...)
> [or what
> ever the Norwegian chief executive is].

My goodness!

--
Vassil Nikolov
http://www.poboxes.com/vnikolov

> It also comments on the basic honesty of the Norwegians, very
> commendably.  If it were the States it would be a capitalistic
> opportunity.  Some of the America's "finest families" got their
> start as "Rum runners"......from "Rum runners" to president in just
> a generation.
>
> I'll be glade to send you my family recipe for "cooking corn" [moon
> shine].  Seems my family ran a rather large illlegal wiskey still
> during prohibition times.

Both smuggling and moonshining are thriving industries in Norway,
thank you.  We aren't really all that honest.  At least not all of us,
a lot of people still buy taxed spirits.

Stig Hemmer,
Jack of a Few Trades.

PS: The closest thing Norway has to a 'chief executive' is our Prime
   Minister.  He does not wield the kind of power Clinton does, the
   real power lies with the Parliament.
From: David Steuber
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:

> #:Erik, who's trying to figure out which topic this could be "on"

alt.off.topic.misc

:-)