From: Hannu Koivisto
Greetings,

First of all, I thought to join ILISP mailing list and ask this
question there, but I haven't received any kind of
acknowledgement (or request to authenticate my subscription) so
it seems the list isn't active, at least not in the address
···············@naggum.no. Anyone knows what is the status of
this list? I also tried getting CLISP mailing list subscribing
instructions as suggested in
http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-clisp-mailinglist.html
but I had no luck with that either.

The actual problem is that whether I start XEmacs (20.4, from
Debian GNU/Linux) with or without my .emacs and then try to
launch ILISP listener with CLISP as the program and clisp as the
dialect, CLISP loads, shows prompt but ILISP just says "Started
initializing ILISP", shows "ILISP :load" as its status (not
"ILISP :ready", like with CMUCL) and does nothing after that. I
can't communicate with CLISP --- it seems that the ILISP is
stuck to initialization for some reason.

I have heard that CLISP is not too ANSI CL compliant, so before
I start tracing the problem, I'd like to know if this is a
"feature" and whether there are some hacks available for ILISP
that make it work with CLISP or if this is a problem with CLISP
that might be fixed in some development version (I'm using
1997-12-06-1 from the Debian GNU/Linux distribution).

TIA,
//Hannu

From: Raymond Toy

    Hannu> The actual problem is that whether I start XEmacs (20.4,
    Hannu> from Debian GNU/Linux) with or without my .emacs and then
    Hannu> try to launch ILISP listener with CLISP as the program and
    Hannu> clisp as the dialect, CLISP loads, shows prompt but ILISP
    Hannu> just says "Started initializing ILISP", shows "ILISP :load"
    Hannu> as its status (not "ILISP :ready", like with CMUCL) and
    Hannu> does nothing after that. I can't communicate with CLISP ---
    Hannu> it seems that the ILISP is stuck to initialization for some
    Hannu> reason.

ILISP does work with CLISP (but I haven't tried recently).  I think,
though, that you at least need to have CLISP started with the -I flag
for it to work.  You may also need to initialize a few variables in
emacs/ILISP to get it to work well with CLISP.  Look around on the
Clisp web site or Bruno's web site.  I think there are some pointers
there on getting ILISP to work with CLISP.

Ray
From: Hannu Koivisto
Raymond Toy <···@rtp.ericsson.se> writes:

| ILISP does work with CLISP (but I haven't tried recently).  I think,
| though, that you at least need to have CLISP started with the -I flag
| for it to work.  You may also need to initialize a few variables in

Ah, it seems I was too hasty and didn't realize there could be
an option for ILISP use. -I indeed solved the problem.

Thanks,
//Hannu
From: Erik Naggum
* Hannu Koivisto <·····@iki.fi.ns>
| First of all, I thought to join ILISP mailing list and ask this question
| there, but I haven't received any kind of acknowledgement (or request to
| authenticate my subscription) so it seems the list isn't active, at least
| not in the address ···············@naggum.no. Anyone knows what is the
| status of this list?

  that's odd.  it's supposed to be working.  in fact, a few messages pass
  through every now and then and it seems to be going just fine.  I'll have
  to look into this.

#:Erik
--
  Nie wieder KrF!  Nie wieder KrF!  Nie wieder KrF!  Nie wieder KrF!