From: INZTRUKT
Subject: Which lisp book to buy?
In the list of the following books, which book to buy considering the
quality and price both. USD is US dollar and IRS is indian rupee which is
about 1:40 in conversion. PRS is also 1:40.

   Author Title Price ISBN Format Note Action
   Paul Graham The ANSI Common Lisp (Prentice Hall Series in Artificial
   Intelligence) US$45.00 0133708756 New, Paperback Published 1996

   Paul Graham On Lisp : Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp US$47.00
   0130305529 New, Paperback Published 1994 Buy/Info

   ILLUSTRATED AUTOLISP
   By: OLIVER
   Price: PRS 180.0019
   Year of publication: 1990
   ISBN: B9987

   LISP: APORTABLE IMPLEMENTATION
   By: HEKMATPOUR
   Price: USD 54.80
   Year of publication: 0
   ISBN: 0-13-537490-1

   LISP: THE LANGUAGE OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
   By: BERK
   Price: USD 35.95
   Year of publication: 0
   ISBN: C0967

   UNDERSTANDING LISP
   By: GLOESS
   Price: IRS 30.00
   Year of publication: 0
   ISBN: B4199

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: Which lisp book to buy?
In article <··········@chronicle.concentric.net>, ········@cris.com
(INZTRUKT) wrote:

>   Author Title Price ISBN Format Note Action
>   Paul Graham The ANSI Common Lisp (Prentice Hall Series in Artificial
>   Intelligence) US$45.00 0133708756 New, Paperback Published 1996
>
>   Paul Graham On Lisp : Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp US$47.00
>   0130305529 New, Paperback Published 1994 Buy/Info

This is the one I'd buy. It's good for learning lisp if you already
understand programming, and it's a good reference to the ANSI standard
(with which commercial and non-commercial implementations attempt to
comply).

Raf

--
Raffael Cavallaro
From: Martti Halminen
INZTRUKT wrote:

> In the list of the following books, which book to buy considering the
> quality and price both. USD is US dollar and IRS is indian rupee which is
> about 1:40 in conversion. PRS is also 1:40.

It would help if you told more about what you are looking for: your
experience with Lisp, which Lisp you are interested in, what kind of
programming you are doing etc.

>    Author Title Price ISBN Format Note Action
>    Paul Graham The ANSI Common Lisp (Prentice Hall Series in Artificial
>    Intelligence) US$45.00 0133708756 New, Paperback Published 1996

This is a rather well-regarded book on the essentials, with a good
reference to the language (rather terse, though).

>    Paul Graham On Lisp : Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp US$47.00
>    0130305529 New, Paperback Published 1994 Buy/Info

The subtitle tells it well: the contents are rather advanced, at least
I'm not sure that I understood it all :-) Contains the best explanation
of macros I remember seeing.

The rest of these I never heard about, so have to just guess from the
titles.

>    ILLUSTRATED AUTOLISP
>    By: OLIVER
>    Price: PRS 180.0019
>    Year of publication: 1990
>    ISBN: B9987

This is strictly for AutoCAD programming. AutoLisp is rather like old
MacLisp, with most of the interesting parts removed, and no use outside
AutoCAD. (I think there was one other CAD program that could use
AutoLISP programs, but haven't seen much on that).

>    LISP: APORTABLE IMPLEMENTATION
>    By: HEKMATPOUR
>    Price: USD 54.80
>    Year of publication: 0
>    ISBN: 0-13-537490-1

As Lisp is one of the easiest languages to (partially) implement, there
are various do-it-yourself versions around. Might be pedagocically
useful, but there is a risk that the language implemented differs from
more standard versions. (I don't know anything about this particular
one.)

Assuming you are talking about programming in Common Lisp, I'd recommend
the Graham books, ANSI first.

    ^.          Martti Halminen
   / \`.        Design Power Europe Oy
  /   \ `.      Tekniikantie 12, FIN-02150 Espoo, Finland
 /\`.  \ |      Tel:+358 9 4354 2306, Fax:+358 9 455 8575
/__\|___\|      ······················@dpe.fi   http://www.dpe.fi
From: INZTRUKT
You missed that important thing about the last book. It is less than one
US$ in price, for IRS40.!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: Johan Kullstam
Martti Halminen <···@dpe.fi> writes:

> INZTRUKT wrote:
> >
> > In the list of the following books, which book to buy considering the
> > quality and price both. USD is US dollar and IRS is indian rupee which is
> > about 1:40 in conversion. PRS is also 1:40.
>
> It would help if you told more about what you are looking for: your
> experience with Lisp, which Lisp you are interested in, what kind of
> programming you are doing etc.

i too am looking for a good lisp book.  i picked up CLtL2 but while it
may be a good reference it does not good a tutorial make.  i also have
emacs lisp tutorial which was helpful but rather small in scope.

i am interested in common lisp with an emphasis on number crunching.
i wish to replace fortran, C and C++ since i have a general
disatisfaction with those.  is there a book that assumes familiarity
with popular languages (ie fortran or C on unix) and explains lisp to
me?

thanks in advance.

--
johan kullstam
From: David Steuber "The Interloper
FAQ alert!

Even though no one ever reads the FAQ for a newsgroup before posting
to it, myself included, this seems like a good FAQ topic, if it isn't
already.

My votes for the top three:

1) ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham
2) On Lisp by Paul Graham
3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
Common Lisp by Peter Norvig

As far as the ultimate reference, The Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent
Pitman at http://www.harliguine.com/hyperspec/frontmatter/ available
for download.

--
David Steuber (ver 1.31.3a)
http://www.david-steuber.com

May the source be with you...
From: Johan Kullstam
········@david-steuber.com (David Steuber "The Interloper") writes:

> FAQ alert!
>
> Even though no one ever reads the FAQ for a newsgroup before posting
> to it, myself included, this seems like a good FAQ topic, if it isn't
> already.
>
> My votes for the top three:
>
> 1) ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham

this may be good.  i didn't find it when i went to the bookstore but
i'll look for it.

> 2) On Lisp by Paul Graham

i found this one and bought it.  unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
address number crunching.  i will read it as it may be helpful.

> 3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
> Common Lisp by Peter Norvig

i have no real interest or need for artificial intelligence.  i want
to manipulate matrices, simulate modems, develop and implement
classical control loops &c.  i just want something which has fast
prototyping, quick debug cycle, good scaling, memory management, and
reasonably speedy execution -- in that order.  from what little i have
seen/understood, commonlisp seems to be able to fit the bill.

> As far as the ultimate reference, The Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent
> Pitman at http://www.harliguine.com/hyperspec/frontmatter/ available
> for download.

thanks.

--
Johan Kullstam [·······@idt.net] Don't Fear the Penguin!
From: Kent M Pitman
Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> writes:

> > As far as the ultimate reference, The Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent
> > Pitman at http://www.harliguine.com/hyperspec/frontmatter/ available
> > for download.
>
> thanks.

Uh, I don't think that URL will work.  The right URL is:

 http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/

I think case matters.  I *know* spelling harlequin right matters. :-)
I think this URL might also work (it's a link to the other):

 http://www.harlequin.com/books/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/

You can download the HyperSpec to your own disk.  Details at:

 http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/
From: Espen Vestre
Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> writes:

> > 3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
> > Common Lisp by Peter Norvig
>
> i have no real interest or need for artificial intelligence.  i want
> to manipulate matrices, simulate modems, develop and implement
> classical control loops &c.  i just want something which has fast
> prototyping, quick debug cycle, good scaling, memory management, and
> reasonably speedy execution -- in that order.  from what little i have
> seen/understood, commonlisp seems to be able to fit the bill.

You don't need to be into AI to learn something from Norvigs book.

--

  espen
From: Johan Kullstam
Espen Vestre <··@nextel.no> writes:

> Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> writes:
>
> > > 3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
> > > Common Lisp by Peter Norvig
> >
> > i have no real interest or need for artificial intelligence.  i want
> > to manipulate matrices, simulate modems, develop and implement
> > classical control loops &c.  i just want something which has fast
> > prototyping, quick debug cycle, good scaling, memory management, and
> > reasonably speedy execution -- in that order.  from what little i have
> > seen/understood, commonlisp seems to be able to fit the bill.
>
> You don't need to be into AI to learn something from Norvigs book.

yes.  i was perhaps a bit hasty.  i didn't want to imply that norvig's
book was useless, nor that artificial intelligence is not good, it's
just that i am trying to get going with lisp and i want something
which goes immediately to problems which i have at hand.  now the AI
enabling features of lisp may just be those things which make it good
all-around.

still, if there's a text with a slant towards bit-banging and matrix
math i'd be interested in that.  e.g., graham's book _on lisp_ seems
to be very nice (i've read the first two chapters since buying it a
couple days ago...) it does not give examples of how to e.g., make a
discrete-time filter or matrix inversion.  steel's cltl2 has a few
examples but is not tutorial enough.

where is the fortran hacker's guide to lisp?  not in the sense of
programming style (lisp is weird comming out of basic, assembly, C,
fortran, anything with heavy use of =, &c) but in the sense of `i have
some numerical problems to solve, here's how to do it in lisp with
reasonable speed and efficiency.'

--
Johan Kullstam [·······@idt.net] Don't Fear the Penguin!
From: David Thornley
In article <··············@gromit.nextel.no>,
Espen Vestre  <··@nextel.no> wrote:
>Johan Kullstam <·······@idt.net> writes:
>
>> > 3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
>> > Common Lisp by Peter Norvig
>>
>> i have no real interest or need for artificial intelligence.  i want
>> to manipulate matrices, simulate modems, develop and implement
>> classical control loops &c.  i just want something which has fast
>> prototyping, quick debug cycle, good scaling, memory management, and
>> reasonably speedy execution -- in that order.  from what little i have
>> seen/understood, commonlisp seems to be able to fit the bill.

I agree that Common Lisp has everything you were asking for.  However,
Norvig's book is good for many things besides AI.

What Norvig does, better than any other book I have seen in computer
science, is to show how to start with an idea, implement it, test it,
expand on it, and essentially go to an efficient implementation.
You're likely not to care about the topics of many of the chapters,
but there are chapters I'd strongly recommend to anybody who uses
CL, and even the stuff on, say, implementing Prolog is valuable as
an example of developing a product.

When I taught C, one thing I did was start with an idea and develop
it into a C program or function, just to show how it was done.  I've
never seen that in a book on C (the closest thing I've seen would be
Software Tools, and that's in Ratfor).  Norvig does it.  Norvig
also provides chapters on making Lisp run efficiently, trouble-
shooting Lisp programs, Lisp style, and so forth.  Buy it.

--
David H. Thornley                        | These opinions are mine.  I
·····@thornley.net                       | do give them freely to those
From: Valentino Kyriakides
David Steuber The Interloper wrote:

> FAQ alert!
>
> Even though no one ever reads the FAQ for a newsgroup before posting
> to it, myself included, this seems like a good FAQ topic, if it isn't
> already.
>
> My votes for the top three:
>
> 1) ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham
> 2) On Lisp by Paul Graham
> 3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
> Common Lisp by Peter Norvig
>
> As far as the ultimate reference, The Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent
> Pitman at http://www.harliguine.com/hyperspec/frontmatter/ available
> for download.

Funny, these are absolutely my top three votes too.
I highly agree!

--
Valentino Kyriakides         Email: ········@informatik.uni-hamburg.de
From: Ivan Gallo
Valentino Kyriakides wrote:

> David Steuber The Interloper wrote:
>
> > FAQ alert!
> >
> > Even though no one ever reads the FAQ for a newsgroup before posting
> > to it, myself included, this seems like a good FAQ topic, if it isn't
> > already.
> >
> > My votes for the top three:
> >
> > 1) ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham
> > 2) On Lisp by Paul Graham
> > 3) Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies In
> > Common Lisp by Peter Norvig
> >
> > As far as the ultimate reference, The Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent
> > Pitman at http://www.harliguine.com/hyperspec/frontmatter/ available
> > for download.

 I am sorry... I can't follow your link.I am a beginner in lisp and I would
like to have a sort
of lisp handbook.
Can anyone suggest me anything?
Thanks in advance
From: Lyman S. Taylor
In article <·················@box1.tin.it>,
Ivan Gallo  <········@box1.tin.it> wrote:

>Valentino Kyriakides wrote:

>> > As far as the ultimate reference, The Common Lisp HyperSpec by Kent
>> > Pitman at http://www.harliguine.com/hyperspec/frontmatter/ available
>> > for download.
>>

> I am sorry... I can't follow your link.I am a beginner in lisp and I would
>like to have a sort
>of lisp handbook.

Try...

    http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/HyperSpec/

This will bring you to a page from where you can download the Hyperspec
or go to the "frontmatter" ( the actual HyperSpec).

This is a reference for the Common Lisp language.  It is not a tutorial.
So if by "handbook" you mean something that will "teach" you Common Lisp
this isn't it.  If you want a language feature explained or decrypt one
of the detailed technical discussions on this newsgroup it is quite
valuable.

If you absolutely must have a "dead tree", non abbreviated reference
you may also consider Guy Steele's  "Common Lisp the Language" it
is out of date in spots, but still useful.   Again not a tutorial.

--

Lyman S. Taylor            "I'm a Doctor! Not a commando."
(·····@cc.gatech.edu)         The enhanced EMH Doctor in a ST:Voyager epidsode.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·············@res.raytheon.com>, Johan Kullstam
<·······@idt.net> wrote:

> Martti Halminen <···@dpe.fi> writes:
>
> > INZTRUKT wrote:
> > >
> > > In the list of the following books, which book to buy considering the
> > > quality and price both. USD is US dollar and IRS is indian rupee which is
> > > about 1:40 in conversion. PRS is also 1:40.
> >
> > It would help if you told more about what you are looking for: your
> > experience with Lisp, which Lisp you are interested in, what kind of
> > programming you are doing etc.
>
> i too am looking for a good lisp book.  i picked up CLtL2 but while it
> may be a good reference it does not good a tutorial make.  i also have
> emacs lisp tutorial which was helpful but rather small in scope.
>
> i am interested in common lisp with an emphasis on number crunching.

See also Richard Fateman, Kevin A. Broughan, Diane K. Willcock, and Duane
Rettig: Fast Floating-Point Processing in Common Lisp appeared in ACM
Trans.
on Math. Software, vol 21 no. 1, March 1995, 26-62.
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/papers/lispfloat.ps

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig
From: SLong
The Stephen Slade book and the Franz book. You don't need anything else.

SLong