From: Jeff Roberts
Subject: Commercial Lisp
Proabaly a FAQ, but I have not been looking at this group for a while.

We are evaluating using Lisp for our next project . Would
anyone care to comment on available environments related to:

1.) Runtime license (none required)
2.) Stability
3.) Support
4.) Documentation
5.) GUI builder
6.) Portability
7.) Learning curve (just a feell I know this is highly subjective)
8.) GUI Look and feel (project is for Msoft so needs to look like
a 'normal' windows app)
9.) Foreign function interface

Thanks in advance

rgds
JR

From: Bob Manjoney
Subject: Re: Commercial Lisp
Does Harlequin have a GUI builder for their Lisp?

Bob Manjoney
McHugh Software International

"Jeff Roberts" <········@spectranet.ca> writes:

> Proabaly a FAQ, but I have not been looking at this group for a while.
>
> We are evaluating using Lisp for our next project . Would
> anyone care to comment on available environments related to:
>
> 8.) GUI Look and feel (project is for Msoft so needs to look like
> a 'normal' windows app)

This rules out all but these two:

http://www.franz.com
http://www.harlequin.com

(in alphabetical order ;-)

Hth,
Clemens
--
Clemens Heitzinger
Student der Techn. Mathematik, Technische Universit�t Wien, �sterreich

"Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to
fake it." --- Seymour Cray, on virtual memory.
From: Ian Garmaise
On Sat, 5 Dec 1998 08:13:06 -0500, "Jeff Roberts"
<········@spectranet.ca> wrote:

>Proabaly a FAQ, but I have not been looking at this group for a while.
>
>We are evaluating using Lisp for our next project . Would
>anyone care to comment on available environments related to:
>
>1.) Runtime license (none required)
>2.) Stability
>3.) Support
>4.) Documentation
>5.) GUI builder
>6.) Portability
>7.) Learning curve (just a feell I know this is highly subjective)
>8.) GUI Look and feel (project is for Msoft so needs to look like

				^^^^^^^^^^

Did I read right?  Gatescorp has contracted to purchase a
custom app written in Lisp, rather than C++ or VB?

Ian
From: Jeff Roberts
No - sloppy English on my part.

Msoft as in targeted at Msoft platforms.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

rgds
JR
From: Espen Vestre
····@cris.com (Ian Garmaise) writes:

> Did I read right?  Gatescorp has contracted to purchase a
> custom app written in Lisp, rather than C++ or VB?

what makes you think they don't sleep with everybody?  The're
even a reference customer for Lisp on the _Macintosh_:

 http://www.digitool.com/home-3.html

--

  espen
From: Chris Double
Espen Vestre wrote in message ...
>> Did I read right?  Gatescorp has contracted to purchase a
>> custom app written in Lisp, rather than C++ or VB?
>
>what makes you think they don't sleep with everybody?  The're
>even a reference customer for Lisp on the _Macintosh_:

Wasn't Microsoft Bob written in Lisp? I guess they must use it occasionally
<g>

Chris.
From: Simon Leinen
> and 1.) rules out allegro (franz) which is too bad because there
> product looks nice.

You can get an Allegro license that allows unlimited distribution of
binaries.  The one I use (Allegro Runtime) doesn't permit the compiler
and similar things to be included in the shipped applications, but for
many applications that isn't necessary, and there is another version
(Allegro Dynamic Runtime) that doesn't have this restriction.

Regards,
--
Simon Leinen				       ·····@babar.switch.ch
SWITCH				   http://www.switch.ch/misc/leinen/

	    Who is General Failure & why's he reading my disk?
From: Jeff Roberts
If this is so their sales did not bring it up. We discussed with them over
several
days how to be able to distribute the final exe with no runtime. Several
options
were presented, but none provided this ability without  (significant) costs
to an external user.

As I said too bad, because the product is nice.

rgds
JR