From: Tomoyuki Tanaka
Subject: small, free Lisp/Scheme interpreter for PC?
	(please include <alt.tanaka-tomoyuki> in the followup.)

 what is a good, small, free (shareware) Lisp/Scheme
 interpreter for the PC (DOS)?

 i just want to play with some 5-line toy programs.

 i looked at both Lisp/Scheme FAQ files.
 but i can't tell which one would be good.

 thanks for any suggestions.

From: Dimitrios Souflis
Subject: Re: small, free Lisp/Scheme interpreter for PC?
Tomoyuki Tanaka wrote:

>         (please include <alt.tanaka-tomoyuki> in the followup.)
>
>  what is a good, small, free (shareware) Lisp/Scheme
>  interpreter for the PC (DOS)?
>
>  i just want to play with some 5-line toy programs.
>
>  i looked at both Lisp/Scheme FAQ files.
>  but i can't tell which one would be good.
>
>  thanks for any suggestions.

Look up MiniScheme at
ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/scheme-repository/imp/minischeme.tar.gz
It's as small as it gets (archive 19kb). It's pretty minimal,
though. If you want more of R5RS Scheme download its offspring,
TinyScheme (see my homepage - archive 27kb). SIOD is also small,
although not that small (see scheme-repository for that -
archive 151kb, I have also downloaded from some other place another
SIOD archive ~200kb).
You'll have to do the build yourself, no binaries are available
for any free Scheme.

--
Dimitrios Souflis                ········@altera.gr
Altera Ltd.                      http://www.altera.gr/dsouflis

*** Reality is what refuses to disappear when you stop believing
*** in it (VALIS, Philip K. Dick)
From: Ben Caradoc-Davies
Dimitrios Souflis (········@altera.gr) wrote:
: You'll have to do the build yourself, no binaries are available
: for any free Scheme.

What about SCMLIT.EXE ?

See http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SCM.html

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <····@physics.otago.ac.nz>
From: Dimitrios Souflis
Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> What about SCMLIT.EXE ?
>
> See http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SCM.html

Oops! I missed that! But what does
"Note: SCMLIT still requires slib2c2 and scm5c2 above."
mean? My guess is that you'll have to build scm5c2 on
your own anyway...

From: Fritz Heinrichmeyer
From: Klaus Schilling
Dimitrios Souflis <········@altera.gr> writes:

> Tomoyuki Tanaka wrote:
>
> >         (please include <alt.tanaka-tomoyuki> in the followup.)
> >
> >  what is a good, small, free (shareware) Lisp/Scheme
> >  interpreter for the PC (DOS)?
> >
> >  i just want to play with some 5-line toy programs.
> >
> >  i looked at both Lisp/Scheme FAQ files.
> >  but i can't tell which one would be good.
> >
> >  thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Look up MiniScheme at
> ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/scheme-repository/imp/minischeme.tar.gz
> It's as small as it gets (archive 19kb). It's pretty minimal,
> though. If you want more of R5RS Scheme download its offspring,
> TinyScheme (see my homepage - archive 27kb). SIOD is also small,
> although not that small (see scheme-repository for that -
> archive 151kb, I have also downloaded from some other place another
> SIOD archive ~200kb).
> You'll have to do the build yourself, no binaries are available
> for any free Scheme.

Aubrey Jaffers sells scm binaries on floppies.

Klaus Schilling
From: Shriram Krishnamurthi
Dimitrios Souflis <········@altera.gr> writes:

> You'll have to do the build yourself, no binaries are available
> for any free Scheme.

DrScheme:

  http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/drscheme/

Binaries available for

  Windows 95/NT
  MacOS PowerPC
  MacOS x86
  HP PA-RISC HP/UX 10
  i386 Linux 2.0
  i386 FreeBSD 2.2
  RS/6000 AIX 3.2 (Motif and Xt)
  SGI Mips IRIX 5.x
  Sparc Solaris 2.5 (Motif and Xt)
  Sparc SunOS 4.x

Of course, source code is available too.

Free as the air around you.

'shriram
From: Klaus Schilling
········@dilbert.ucdavis.edu (Tomoyuki Tanaka) writes:

> 	(please include <alt.tanaka-tomoyuki> in the followup.)
>

>  what is a good, small, free (shareware) Lisp/Scheme
>  interpreter for the PC (DOS)?
>
>  i just want to play with some 5-line toy programs.
>
>  i looked at both Lisp/Scheme FAQ files.
>  but i can't tell which one would be good.
>
>  thanks for any suggestions.

Telford Tendys recently diluted guile so that it starts on dos/djgpp pretty
fast. He took out all unix-related stuff.

Klaus Schilling