From: Berkman Center
Subject: LISP for NLP
I'm a LISP newbie.  I've read that LISP is good for NLP.  One paper
mentioned the use of s-expressions (containing a parse tree and a word
list) that pass through weighted rules which "fire" when the rule is
satisfied.  For example, a certain rule might fire if "you" and "are"
are both present in the noun phrase of a sentence.  From what I gather,
such an architecture  is advantageous, because the training of the NLP
system is isolated to "tweaking" the rule set.  Am I correct?

Is there any recommended treatise on NLP?  Tools?  Is LISP essential?
Are PERL regular expressions enough?  Is there an English parser that
could cut up sentences into pieces and tag them with things like Noun
Phrase, Verb Phrase etc?

Thank You,
Deepak Gupta
--
The Berkman Center for Internet and Society
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu

From: Dragomir R. Radev
Subject: Re: LISP for NLP
Gazdar, G. and Mellish, C., "Natural Language Processing in Lisp:
   An Introduction to Computational Linguistics", Addison-Wesley,
   Reading, Massachusetts, 1989.

--
Dragomir R. Radev                           Graduate Research Assistant
Natural Language Processing Group     Columbia University CS Department
From: Dimitrios Souflis
Berkman Center wrote:

> I'm a LISP newbie.  I've read that LISP is good for NLP.Is there any
> recommended treatise on NLP?  Tools?  Is LISP essential?

"Natural language understanding" 2nd Ed., James Allen,
1994 Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-8053-0334-0 (Hardback)
is excellent (although it probably goes much further
than you wished to go) and it is accompanied by
Common Lisp programs downloadable from some site.

--
Dimitrios Souflis                ········@altera.gr
Altera Ltd.                      http://www.altera.gr/dsouflis

*** Reality is what refuses to disappear when you stop believing
*** in it (VALIS, Philip K. Dick)