From: David Bakhash
Subject: seeing a (binary) tree graphically
hi,

I have some binary trees.  I can pprint them, and I can traverse them
fine, but what I'd love for is a program with which I can somehow
display them.  I am sure that based on the trees I have, I can build a
new tree (where the nodes, for example, coincide with the structs that
someone else has used), and my hope is that someone's program can take
that product and then display it graphically.  Can someone help me
out?

thanks,
dave

From: Will Hartung
Subject: Re: seeing a (binary) tree graphically
David Bakhash <·····@bu.edu> writes:

>hi,

>I have some binary trees.  I can pprint them, and I can traverse them
>fine, but what I'd love for is a program with which I can somehow
>display them.  I am sure that based on the trees I have, I can build a
>new tree (where the nodes, for example, coincide with the structs that
>someone else has used), and my hope is that someone's program can take
>that product and then display it graphically.  Can someone help me
>out?

Well, Harlequins LWW has this capability with one of its graphic panes
(the name escapes me). It makes displaying trees particularly trivial.

I would imagine that their UNIX version provides the same
functionality. I would also imagine that their free "Personal" (?)
edition of LWW that can be dowloaded provides this capability as well.

However, if you're not working with Harlequins products, then I can't
help you at this time.

Good Luck!

--
Will Hartung - Rancho Santa Margarita. It's a dry heat. ······@netcom.com
1990 VFR750 - VFR=Very Red    "Ho, HaHa, Dodge, Parry, Spin, HA! THRUST!"
From: Raymond Toy

    David> hi, I have some binary trees.  I can pprint them, and I can
    David> traverse them fine, but what I'd love for is a program with
    David> which I can somehow display them.  I am sure that based on

psgraph can display trees.

Garnet can display trees.

Both are available from the CMUCL Lisp archives.

Ray
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@rtp.ericsson.se>, Raymond Toy
<···@rtp.ericsson.se> wrote:

>     David> hi, I have some binary trees.  I can pprint them, and I can
>     David> traverse them fine, but what I'd love for is a program with
>     David> which I can somehow display them.  I am sure that based on
>
> psgraph can display trees.
>
> Garnet can display trees.
>
> Both are available from the CMUCL Lisp archives.
>
> Ray

If you have CLIM (the Common Lisp Interface Manager)
you can use the function CLIM:FORMAT-GRAPH-FROM-ROOTS.
From: David D. Smith
In article <···············@engc.bu.edu>, David Bakhash <·····@bu.edu> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have some binary trees.  I can pprint them, and I can traverse them
> fine, but what I'd love for is a program with which I can somehow
> display them.  I am sure that based on the trees I have, I can build a
> new tree (where the nodes, for example, coincide with the structs that
> someone else has used), and my hope is that someone's program can take
> that product and then display it graphically.  Can someone help me
> out?

MCL has an example file called Grapher.Lisp, whose classes can easily be
specialized.  It does the obvious thing.  I find it very useful for
debuging parse trees and code trees.  Double-click to inspect nodes.