From: WonderWhim
Subject: Re: Problem downloading the online version of CLtL2

>Maybe the Web site provides the browser with an incorrect MIME type. How
>can I force a binary HTTP download? Are the files available elsewhere -
>preferably at some FTP site (I checked with Archie and AltaVista without
>success)? Any help will be highly appreciated.

There is a link to the files at
http://trantor.cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de/lisp/manual/index.html
The site is in German, but it should be pretty obvous.  You may want to try
downloading the zip file, even though it is larger, because I found that the
tarball was corrupt as well.

--
WW (··········@aol.com)

From: Eric Harley
> >Maybe the Web site provides the browser with an incorrect MIME type. How
> >can I force a binary HTTP download? Are the files available elsewhere -
> >preferably at some FTP site (I checked with Archie and AltaVista without
> >success)? Any help will be highly appreciated.

I believe the problems lies with the fact that the file ends in .tgz
instead of .tar.gz. The web server doesn't recognize .tgz and therefore
sends the file as text/plain.

--
Eric Harley
Freelance Programmer

·······@pacbell.net
http://burn.victim.com/~eharley
From: Russell L. Rader
Eric Harley wrote:

> > >Maybe the Web site provides the browser with an incorrect MIME type. How
> > >can I force a binary HTTP download? Are the files available elsewhere -
> > >preferably at some FTP site (I checked with Archie and AltaVista without
> > >success)? Any help will be highly appreciated.

I had problems downloading from the CMU web site, but this link worked
fine:

ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu:/user/ai/lang/lisp/doc/cltl/