From: Reini Urban
Subject: the recent lispwork for windows announce
really no opinions on this announcement?

  http://www.harlequin.com/news/press/devtools_0798.html
  http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/lisp/

As novice user of cmucl and ACL for windows and other crippled ms-
windows lisps I've tried LWW today. it's also free
(again pissed off as i paid years ago for the now free allegro)

Of course save-image, compiling to stand-alone exe and treeshaking
(delivery) doesn't work on the personal version. as ACL.

I also expected some trivial MSWin32 COM support (parts known as
ActiveX) as nick privately told me. i would need it to drive AutoCAD.
but only the simple dde server and client is implemented.
So it's only partially better than Allegro for Win, not substantially.
sigh :(

but i think you will rather be excited (or pissed off) by the new
royalties for win32. should win32 really rule the lisp world too?
From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: the recent lispwork for windows announce

    Reini> really no opinions on this announcement?
    Reini>   http://www.harlequin.com/news/press/devtools_0798.html
    Reini>   http://www.harlequin.com/products/ads/lisp/

    Reini> As novice user of cmucl and ACL for windows and other crippled ms-
    Reini> windows lisps I've tried LWW today. it's also free
    Reini> (again pissed off as i paid years ago for the now free allegro)

    Reini> Of course save-image, compiling to stand-alone exe and treeshaking
    Reini> (delivery) doesn't work on the personal version. as ACL.

I think it's good news.  I downloaded it but haven't tried out.

One other important point is that the readme says there is a 5 hr
limit per session.  After 5 hours, the session is exited.  There is a
warning after 4 hrs.

Too bad.  I definitely prefer ACL for Linux:  the real McCoy without
restrictions.

Ray