From: Phil Hunt
Subject: Good Lisp book
Can anyone advise me on a good book to learn Lisp? I'm an
expreienced programmer so I want something that isn't an
"idiot's guide" approach.

Also, what is a good freeware Lisp for Windows 95? Should I go
for Common Lisp or Xlisp? Which is better? Are the object-orientation
features in CLOS better or worse than in XLisp?

--
* * Phil Hunt * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*   Eurolang, la lang qui tu pos lernar in week-fini. Vidu:   *

From: Will Hartung
Subject: Re: Good Lisp book
·····@vision25.demon.co.uk (Phil Hunt) writes:

>Can anyone advise me on a good book to learn Lisp? I'm an
>expreienced programmer so I want something that isn't an
>"idiot's guide" approach.

>Also, what is a good freeware Lisp for Windows 95? Should I go
>for Common Lisp or Xlisp? Which is better? Are the object-orientation
>features in CLOS better or worse than in XLisp?

"ANSI Common Lisp" by Graham is probably the best starting point. It
covers most issues, and has a nice abbreviated CL reference in the
back.

"Object Oriented Common Lisp" by Stephen Slade is very good as a sort
of reference/users guide. He tends to exercise just about every
optional parameter available in most of CL.

If I were to own just one CL book, ACL would be it. However, ACL and
OOCL work very well together, and I find OOCL more usable as a
"newbie" reference to CL than the ANSI CL Standard Hyperspec
(available from http://www.harlequin.com/).

These two are, I believe, the most recent general CL books available.
ACL came out in '95, and OOCL came out in '97. Pretty good for a "Dead
Language".

Allegro Common Lisp Lite v3.01 for Windows from Franz is probably the
best "free" CL for W95. It has a limited heap and cannot save images,
but otherwise it's very nice. See http://www.franz.com/

Franz also makes available their full CL implementation free for
Linux. This is a very generous offering from Franz.

If you feel like actually putting hard cash on the line for a Lisp, then
Harlequins LispWorks for Windows v4.01 is a pretty good deal, and has
probably the most liberal re-distribution licensing available. Their
support is good also, although I've always heard good things about
Franz's support as well. Franz's "free" products, however, come with
minimal to no support of course.

Of course, Rainer will beat me if I don't mention MCL from Digitool
(http://www.digitool.com/) for the Macintosh, it's fairly priced and
gets rave reviews.

Also, be sure to hit your favorite search engine to find all sorts of
stuff on the web.

There. That should be enough to get yourself into all sorts of
trouble.

Good Luck, and Enjoy!

--
Will Hartung - Rancho Santa Margarita. It's a dry heat. ······@netcom.com
1990 VFR750 - VFR=Very Red    "Ho, HaHa, Dodge, Parry, Spin, HA! THRUST!"
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <················@netcom.com>, ······@netcom.com (Will Hartung)
wrote:

> Of course, Rainer will beat me if I don't mention MCL ...

No, no - I would not beat you.

The rest is correct. ;-)

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/
From: Georg Bauer
wrote:

>"ANSI Common Lisp" by Graham is probably the best starting point. It
>covers most issues, and has a nice abbreviated CL reference in the
>back.

I would like to add "On Lisp" by the same author. It's quite good if you
get through ANSI CL - especially if you are interested in the advanced
areas of CL (although it's pre-ANSI CL, if I understand correctly).

And then there is Peter Norvigs "Paradigms of AI programming". If you are
looking for interesting examples about algorithms in CL, this is the book
to go with!

bye, Georg

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -0777pi
s/TS:.*?\0/$_=$&;y,a-z, ,;s,   $,true,gm;s, 512,2048,;$_/es
From: Jeff Dalton
······@netcom.com (Will Hartung) writes:

> If you feel like actually putting hard cash on the line for a Lisp, then
> Harlequins LispWorks for Windows v4.01 is a pretty good deal, and has
> probably the most liberal re-distribution licensing available. Their
> support is good also, although I've always heard good things about
> Franz's support as well. Franz's "free" products, however, come with
> minimal to no support of course.

I still use Lucid CL, which now seems to be called Liquid CL
(available from Harlequin).

-- jeff
From: Steve Long
Graham book is good, but has a lot of missing important pieces.  I use
the Franz reference book every day (can't remember those format specs) -
it seems to be out of print, so grab one even if it's a little
dog-earred.  It becomes more useful as you develop your intuition about
what Lisp can do. I haven't seen a good treatment of "loop" except for
the Harlequin (sp) on-line document.

sl
Knowledge Based Product Def
Boeing
From: David Bakhash
Steve Long <·········@isomedia.com> writes:

> what Lisp can do. I haven't seen a good treatment of "loop" except for
> the Harlequin (sp) on-line document.

I got a good enough treatment of `loop' from the elisp Docs on the CL
extensions by Dave Gillespie.  A couple of examples, and some other
good stuff, and it's not so bad.

dave
From: Paul McNamee
·····@vision25.demon.co.uk (Phil Hunt) writes:
> Can anyone advise me on a good book to learn Lisp? I'm an
> expreienced programmer so I want something that isn't an
> "idiot's guide" approach.
AFAIK, there is no "Lisp for Dummies" in print!  (I wonder why not? ;-)
I guess "The Little Lisper" is the closest thing.

Paul

············@jhuapl.edu
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~paulmac/
From: William C. Hammel
On 28 Apr 1998, Paul McNamee wrote:

> Date: 28 APR 1998 13:49:57 -0400
> From: Paul McNamee <·······@apl.jhu.edu>
> Newgroups: comp.lang.lisp
> Subject: Re: Good Lisp book
>
> ·····@vision25.demon.co.uk (Phil Hunt) writes:
> > Can anyone advise me on a good book to learn Lisp? I'm an
> > expreienced programmer so I want something that isn't an
> > "idiot's guide" approach.
> AFAIK, there is no "Lisp for Dummies" in print!  (I wonder why not? ;-)
> I guess "The Little Lisper" is the closest thing.
>
> Paul
>
> ············@jhuapl.edu
> Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
> http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~paulmac/

I believe the request was for books that were *not* for dummies.
For Common Lisp there is "Common Lisp" by Guy Steele, published by
Digital Press.
For in depth structure, logical understanding, how to implement
and all of the stuff underneath simply programming in Lisp there is
"The Anatomy of Lisp" by John Allen, published by McGraw-Hill
ISBN  0-07-001115-X

Bill
From: Frank A. Adrian
William C. Hammel wrote in message ...
>For in depth structure, logical understanding, how to implement
>and all of the stuff underneath simply programming in Lisp there is
>"The Anatomy of Lisp" by John Allen, published by McGraw-Hill
>ISBN  0-07-001115-X

For low-level implementation issues, Allen's book is dated.  It was the best
book on the market for a long time, but its time has passed.  A far better
book currently is ISBN 0521562473, Christian Queinnec's "Lisp in Small
Pieces".
From: Anonymous
"William C. Hammel" <·······@graham.main.nc.us> wrote:

>For in depth structure, logical understanding, how to implement
>and all of the stuff underneath simply programming in Lisp there is
>"The Anatomy of Lisp" by John Allen, published by McGraw-Hill
>ISBN  0-07-001115-X

Unfortunately this book is out of print.  It is a classic.