From: George Smith
Subject: cmu-cl: CG lossage. No scavenge function for object
While in the midst of evaluating a function, cmu-cl (version 17f under
Solaris 2.5) printed the following message:

GC lossage.  No scavenge function for object 0x00000006
LDB monitor
ldb>

This always happens at the same point in the evaluation, in which some 5
megabytes of data are searched through and various results are printed
out. I haven't been able to find anything in the manual to help me yet.
I'm not that familiar with cmu-cl, as I usually use MCL.

Is there a way to simply continue, leaving the object uncollected? Is
there some other way to solve the problem without getting too involved in
low-level implementation-specific details?

It is very important for me to process the data, but as I'm the only
person who will ever have to do it, and I won't be doing it all that
often, an uncomfortable quick and dirty fix like manually continuing would
be preferable to spending lots of time trying to learn low-level details
of memory management in cmu-cl, which has so far done everything I wanted
it to without complaint.

Thanks,

George Smith
Institut fuer Germanistik
Universitaet Potsdam

From: Mike McDonald
In article <············@fu-berlin.de>,
	······@zedat.fu-berlin.de (George Smith) writes:
> While in the midst of evaluating a function, cmu-cl (version 17f under
> Solaris 2.5) printed the following message:
>
> GC lossage.  No scavenge function for object 0x00000006
> LDB monitor
> ldb>

> Thanks,
>
> George Smith
> Institut fuer Germanistik
> Universitaet Potsdam

  Does 18a do the same thing? (Try www.cons.org/cmucl)

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: George Smith
·······@mikemac.com (Mike McDonald) writes:
>> GC lossage.  No scavenge function for object 0x00000006
>> LDB monitor
>> ldb>
>  Does 18a do the same thing? (Try www.cons.org/cmucl)

Thanks to all for the responses. The improved garbage collection in
18a does the trick. No more problems.

-George Smith