From: Phil Stratton
Subject: Help with XLisp CE
HELP!

I have installed XLisp CE on my Compaq C140, but I can't get it to do
anything.  I know very little about lisp (I'm learning about it in my AI
classes).  XLisp works fine on my PC.

Now to the details.  It's installed in the xlisp21 directory.  I have
init.lsp in that directory.  It will run, I get the following on the screen:

XLISP version 2.1, Copyright (c) 1989, by David Betz

I try to load a file:
(load 'astro3)  ;;;by the way, astro3.lsp is in the same directory

and I get
NIL

This is obviously not good.  I am at a loss.  Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanx

Phil

From: David D. Lowry
Subject: Re: Help with XLisp CE
Phil Stratton wrote:

> HELP!
>
> I have installed XLisp CE on my Compaq C140, but I can't get it to do
> anything.  I know very little about lisp (I'm learning about it in my AI
> classes).  XLisp works fine on my PC.
>
> Now to the details.  It's installed in the xlisp21 directory.  I have
> init.lsp in that directory.  It will run, I get the following on the screen:
>
> XLISP version 2.1, Copyright (c) 1989, by David Betz
> >

> I try to load a file:
> (load 'astro3)  ;;;by the way, astro3.lsp is in the same directory
>
> and I get
> NIL
> >

> This is obviously not good.  I am at a loss.  Any pointers would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanx
>
> Phil

Instead try (load "astro3.lsp")  I don't know what your compaq has for
an operating system, but some operating systems are case sensitive (Unix
especially).  When you say (load 'astro3), Xlisp is probably looking for
a file ASTRO3.LSP, since it uppercases symbols.

However, if your running on MS-DOS, this should not be a problem.
Instead, try to figure out what directory Xlisp is trying to load from.

DDL
From: Phil Stratton
David D. Lowry wrote in message <·············@dbrc.com>...
<<My sturr removed>>

>Instead try (load "astro3.lsp")  I don't know what your compaq has for
>an operating system, but some operating systems are case sensitive (Unix
>especially).  When you say (load 'astro3), Xlisp is probably looking for
>a file ASTRO3.LSP, since it uppercases symbols.
>
>However, if your running on MS-DOS, this should not be a problem.
>Instead, try to figure out what directory Xlisp is trying to load from.
>
>DDL

That didn't work.  I tried all permutations of upper and lower case filename
vs extention and had no luck.  I even tried to use ' in front of the " and
that didn't work either.

I still have no clue how to get this to work.

But thanks for the input.  It made sence to me, so I tried it.

Phil
From: Phil Stratton
Never mind.  Boy do I feel stupid.

"Fully qualified path name"!
There should be some way around this (don't know how to set a PATH in CE),
but I got it working, so that's great.

Phil