From: Scott L. Burson
Subject: 64-bit Common Lisp?
Hello,

Does anyone out there know of a 64-bit Common Lisp implementation, for
either the Alpha or any other appropriate hardware?  I spent some time
about a year ago looking around for such a beast, without success; but
perhaps one has appeared in the interim.

Of course I don't really need a full 64-bit address space, but I have
some problems I want to run which I estimate will require process sizes
in the 64GB-128GB range, so even Open Genera is not quite adequate -- I
need another 2 or 3 bits of address.

An option that will soon be available would be to take the new Linux for
UltraSPARC that will Real Soon Now support 64-bit user processes, and to
modify the CMUCL SPARC back end to generate the appropriate
instructions.  If no better alternative appears I may take a shot at
this.

I will of course need some sort of ephemeral GC to catch very
short-lived objects, but beyond that GC is not much of a concern -- the
nature of my application is such that most of the structure will be
quite static.  (Someone told me that CMUCL has such a GC now, but I
haven't verified this.)

Using Scheme is not absolutely out of the question, but I would prefer
CL if possible.  I don't know of any 64-bit Schemes either.

-- Scott

				  * * * * *

To use the email address, remove all occurrences of the letter "q".
From: Scott L. Burson
Subject: Re: 64-bit Common Lisp?
Scott L. Burson wrote:
> Does anyone out there know of a 64-bit Common Lisp implementation, for
> either the Alpha or any other appropriate hardware?

Aha!  I have discovered that an Alpha port of CMUCL was released in
December.

Still I'm curious what else may exist along these lines, so if you know
of something, please speak up :-)

-- Scott

				  * * * * *

To use the email address, remove all occurrences of the letter "q".