From: Gavin E. Gleason
Subject: Opinion on "delete-file"
Hi all you lispers,
	I posted a similar question to the CMU-CL implementation
mailing list, but I thought I would get a more general consensus
on what is thought of my problem (or if I'm missing something
altogether)
	I need to be able to delete directories.  I figure well
delete-file should do the trick.  Unfortunately delete-file, in
the CMU-CL implementation (and also, as I'm told, the ACL
implementation)  does not allow directories to be deleted.  I
searched in vain for some portable alternative (I'm aware of the
unix:unix-rmdir syscall allowed in CMU-CL).
	I read the hyper-spec and it says that delete-file
deletes a file (duh!).  Is it stretching it for delete-file to
delete special files?  Is the ANSI spec clearer as to the
behaviour?  Am I missing something obvious?  Is there some kind
of consensus as to how to deal with this issue?
	I appreciate any responses. ;)

		Gavin E. Gleason
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Opinion on "delete-file"
In article <··············@tvi.cc.nm.us>,
Gavin E. Gleason <········@tvi.cc.nm.us> wrote:
>	I read the hyper-spec and it says that delete-file
>deletes a file (duh!).  Is it stretching it for delete-file to
>delete special files?  Is the ANSI spec clearer as to the
>behaviour?  Am I missing something obvious?  Is there some kind
>of consensus as to how to deal with this issue?

The text of the ANSI spec is 99% identical to the HyperSpec.  In virtually
all ways except legal issues you can probably consider them equivalent.  So
it's no more or less clear.

I don't think we ever discussed this issue at all in X3J13, so there's no
obvious concensus.  The issue of what an is considered to be a "file" is
inherently implementation-dependent.  For instance, some systems will let
you open a directory for reading; in some versions of Unix, it depends on
the file system type (you can read a local directory as if it were a file,
but not one on a network server).

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com