From: Joerg Hoehle
Subject: What happened to Oaklisp?
Hi,

I've discovered Oaklisp (despite its name, it also contains a Scheme)
recently, found that it had a very nice language and implementation.
Everything there is an object and you can subclass any type, i.e. add
adjustable vectors if you need them, triconses(!), streams with any
special property you wish (CLISP has generic streams, but that's
outside Common Lisp) etc.

Did the original Oaklisp (basically from 1992) influence other
implementations and systems since or how comes it's completely
forgotten nowadays?  Because it's neither Scheme nor CL?  Did anybody
work on extensions like threads (which are mentioned but not
implemented) or a better GC?

Thanks for any pointers,
	Jo"rg Ho"hle.
············@gmd.de		http://zeus.gmd.de/~hoehle/amiga-clisp.html

From: Steve Weyer
Subject: Re: What happened to Oaklisp?
In article <··········@omega.gmd.de>, ······@zeus.gmd.de (Joerg Hoehle) wrote:

>I've discovered Oaklisp (despite its name, it also contains a Scheme)
>recently, found that it had a very nice language and implementation.
>Everything there is an object and you can subclass any type, i.e. add
>adjustable vectors if you need them, triconses(!), streams with any
>special property you wish (CLISP has generic streams, but that's
>outside Common Lisp) etc.
>
>Did the original Oaklisp (basically from 1992) influence other
>implementations and systems since or how comes it's completely
>forgotten nowadays?  Because it's neither Scheme nor CL?  Did anybody
>work on extensions like threads (which are mentioned but not
>implemented) or a better GC?

OakLisp had a strong influence on the NewtonScript language/object model.
for more info, look under the "articles" heading on www.newton.apple.com/dev/.
my favorite language/environment until Apple killed the Newton recently...

Steve  ·····@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/        http://www.gaia.com/
From: Alex Stuebinger
Subject: GNU OAKLISP, Re: What happened to Oaklisp?
Hi all,

Barak Pearlmutter , the original implementer and I recently undertook an
review of the Oaklisp
code, to adapt it to the coding practices of the 90's.

The new sources are available from
http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel/transputer/software/interpreters/gnu-oaklisp

Please read the online description.
You may consult my announcements in
comp.sys.transputer, those are archived at IPCA HENSA, UK.

I didn't announce it previously in this newsgroup, as I thought you
could find it through the search engines.
This advertising is time-consuming. ;-)

It's also ported to the Inmos transputer. Win95/NT and DOS4GW exe-
cutables are included, as are transputer binaries.

The source is included to make an linux or unix version.

Also included are the manuals.

There are a number of satisfied transputer users.
It isn't parallel at the moment.

Regards

Alex <······@mail.uni-mainz.de>