From: Gavin E. Mendel-Gleason
Subject: Lists of Objects
Hey folks,
	Thanks for the information on passing variables to functions,
now I have another one for you.  I decided to write my program using objects.
	I have objects representing the state of a catagory and whether or
not it is in a set of another catagory. ie.

		A is a subset of B
		B is a subset of C
		------------------
 Therefore:	A is a subset of C

	I set it up so each term is an object with slots that show different
relationships. ie. those catagories that are a subset of C are {B}.  My
problem is getting C to inherit A from B (which would make the subset of
C {A,B}).  I tried finding the set of each of the members of the set C but
they seem not to point to the objects of the same name when I use the
accessor function???  What am I doing wrong?
	Also this aproach is fundementally flawed because a subset may be
removed an arbitrary distance.  (paren used to represent subset)

				A)B)C)D
				-------
 Therfore:			A)D

	Any more sugestions?  Thanks in advance

			Gavin E. Gleason
Gavin E. Gleason      | "If you ain't busy bein' born,
·········@tvi.cc.nm.us| You's busy dien'." -somebody
From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Lists of Objects
········@tvi.cc.nm.us (Gavin E. Mendel-Gleason) writes:

> Hey folks,
> 	I have objects representing the state of a catagory and whether or
> not it is in a set of another catagory. ie.
>
> 		A is a subset of B
> 		B is a subset of C
> 		------------------
>  Therefore:	A is a subset of C
>
> 	I set it up so each term is an object with slots that show different
> relationships. ie. those catagories that are a subset of C are {B}.  My
> problem is getting C to inherit A from B (which would make the subset of
> C {A,B}).  I tried finding the set of each of the members of the set C but
> they seem not to point to the objects of the same name when I use the
> accessor function???  What am I doing wrong?

Actually, we probably need something a little closer to code to be able
to help here.  For instance, do A, B and C represent instances of some
class or are they classnames themselves?  How are you trying to work
with the objects?

> 	Also this aproach is fundementally flawed because a subset may be
> removed an arbitrary distance.  (paren used to represent subset)
>
> 				A)B)C)D
> 				-------
>  Therfore:			A)D
>
> 	Any more sugestions?  Thanks in advance

OK, Shameless plug:

  You might want to investigate some of the tools that are available for
reasoning with inheritance hierarchies.  One such tool (which is
produced here where I work, in part by me) is Loom, a knowledge
represenation language.  Loom is a licensed product, but is available at
no charge for educational, research and other non-commercial uses.
Details can be had at http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/

Thomas A. Russ,  Senior Research Scientist                   ···@isi.edu
USC/Information Sciences Institute              WWW:  http://www.isi.edu