From: Denis Balencourt
Subject: input from editable-text widget returned with boring "
Hi,

I'm using Allegro CL for Windows
char > indicates the CLOS' prompt.

I'm building a GUI,
I have a problem with an editable-text widget used for user input.

folowing function returns widget-value + " "
>(setf classname(dialog-item-value (widget :widget-name :window-name)))
> "widget-value"

So widget-value is not a symbol and can not be traited by the following
function

>(find-class classname)
>;; Error: Argument "widget-value" was not a symbol in FIND-CLASS

May i use an another function or an another widget type ?

Thanks,

Denis Balencourt
Universite Libre de Bruxelles.

From: Barry Margolin
In article <·············@resu1.ulb.ac.be>,
Denis Balencourt  <·······@resu1.ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>I'm building a GUI,
>I have a problem with an editable-text widget used for user input.
>
>folowing function returns widget-value + " "

No, it returns a string.  Quotes are part of how strings are printed,
they're not part of the string itself.

>>(setf classname(dialog-item-value (widget :widget-name :window-name)))
>> "widget-value"
>
>So widget-value is not a symbol and can not be traited by the following
>function
>
>>(find-class classname)
>>;; Error: Argument "widget-value" was not a symbol in FIND-CLASS
>
>May i use an another function or an another widget type ?

I'm not familiar with the GUI library you're using; it may have a widget
type that accepts the printed representation of Lisp objects or Lisp
symbols.

If not, you can use READ-FROM-STRING to convert the input to the
corresponding Lisp object.  Or you could use

(setf classname
  (intern (string-upcase (dialog-item-value ...))))

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>
From: Stefan k. Bamberger
In article <··········@pasilla.bbnplanet.com>, Barry Margolin
<······@bbnplanet.com> wrote:

> In article <·············@resu1.ulb.ac.be>,
> Denis Balencourt  <·······@resu1.ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> >I'm building a GUI,
> >I have a problem with an editable-text widget used for user input.
> >
> >folowing function returns widget-value + " "
>
> No, it returns a string.  Quotes are part of how strings are printed,
> they're not part of the string itself.
>
> >>(setf classname(dialog-item-value (widget :widget-name :window-name)))
> >> "widget-value"
> >
> >So widget-value is not a symbol and can not be traited by the following
> >function
> >
> >>(find-class classname)
> >>;; Error: Argument "widget-value" was not a symbol in FIND-CLASS
> >
> >May i use an another function or an another widget type ?
>
> I'm not familiar with the GUI library you're using; it may have a widget
> type that accepts the printed representation of Lisp objects or Lisp
> symbols.

In ACL/W 3.0 and later: try using the dialog "lisp-text" or
"multi-line-lisp-text".
The lisp object is represented like using prin1 and the value is stored
like using read-from-string.

- stefan
--
University of Wuerzburg, GERMANY