From: Justin Smith
Subject: Free Common Lisp for Macintosh?
Is there one? I'm  teaching an AI course  and would like to use Common
Lisp. (I could use Scheme, but most AI texts that use lisp, use common
lisp).    I'm considering trying   to port GCL   to the Mac, but would
prefer to use someone else's if it exists...

Time blows wildly against my door       | Justin R. Smith
Stirring discarded sorrows      	| Department of Mathematics and
Like dead leaves of summers past        |     Computer Science
Memories of forgotten lore          	| Drexel University
Making way for new tomorrows         	| Philadelphia, PA 19104
New hopes, new fears,                   |
         and new ways that last         | Office: (215) 895-1847

c Justin R. Smith, March 14, 1994       | Fax:    (215) 895-1582

My home page: http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~jsmith

From: Donald Fisk
Subject: Re: Free Common Lisp for Macintosh?
······@mcs.drexel.edu (Justin Smith) wrote:

>Is there one? I'm  teaching an AI course  and would like to use Common
>Lisp. (I could use Scheme, but most AI texts that use lisp, use common
>lisp).    I'm considering trying   to port GCL   to the Mac, but would
>prefer to use someone else's if it exists...

It's not exactly Common Lisp, but most of the time I don't notice the
difference: XLispStat, which runs on Unix, Windows and the Mac.

See: http://stat.umn.edu/~luke/xls/xlsinfo/xlsinfo.html
Le Hibou http://homepages.enterprise.net/hibou/
"What the ... This is Lambic!   Where's my culture of amoebic
dysentery?" -- Gary Larson
From: Barry Margolin
In article <················@XAVIER>,
Justin Smith <······@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:
>Is there one? I'm  teaching an AI course  and would like to use Common
>Lisp. (I could use Scheme, but most AI texts that use lisp, use common
>lisp).    I'm considering trying   to port GCL   to the Mac, but would
>prefer to use someone else's if it exists...

PowerLisp

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>
From: David Thornley
In article <··········@pasilla.bbnplanet.com>,
Barry Margolin  <······@bbnplanet.com> wrote:
>In article <················@XAVIER>,
>Justin Smith <······@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:
>>Is there one? I'm  teaching an AI course  and would like to use Common
>>Lisp. (I could use Scheme, but most AI texts that use lisp, use common
>>lisp).    I'm considering trying   to port GCL   to the Mac, but would
>>prefer to use someone else's if it exists...

Every so often I get the itch to port some FSF software to the Mac.
Usually I sit down and look at it and try to come up with a plan, and
the urge goes away.  I think GCL would be one of those tough cases.
Isn't it based on GCC?  There's no good port of that for the Mac that
I'm aware of.

>PowerLisp

That's shareware, with a $50 registration fee.  Macintosh Common Lisp
is less than four times as expensive at the educational discount, and
is a much better product.  If you're going to use a Lisp that requires
payment without actually paying for it, you should probably pirate the
best.  There is an alternative for MCL....

Digitool has a trial version of MCL limited to fifteen-minute runs.
Obviously this is insufficient, but they've also announced that they
can provide a password to extend that under some circumstances.
I'd suggest writing them and asking.

Otherwise, XLisp is the only Mac Lisp (as opposed to MacLisp) I know of.

David Thornley
From: Erik Naggum
* David Thornley
| Every so often I get the itch to port some FSF software to the Mac.
| Usually I sit down and look at it and try to come up with a plan, and the
| urge goes away.  I think GCL would be one of those tough cases.  Isn't it
| based on GCC?

GCL produces C code that is compiled by any C compiler.

#\Erik
--
see http://www.naggum.no/emacs/ for Emacs-20-related material.
From: Georg Bauer
Justin Smith <······@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:

> Is there one?

Don't know of a free one, but PowerLisp is a nice
Shareware-Implementation with native-code compiler.

bye, Georg