From: Piero Campanelli
Subject: installing LISP in Linux
Hello,

i want to start programming LISP in linu xenvironment...but i don't know
what software install. What is better?

GCL - GNU Common LISP
CMUCL - CMU Common LISP

what is better?
Is it also propedeutic to start using LISP extension of EMACS?

Thanks a lot
PC
--
===========================
Piero Campanelli

From: Alexey Goldin
Subject: Re: installing LISP in Linux
Piero Campanelli <········@tin.it> writes:

> Hello,
>
> i want to start programming LISP in linu xenvironment...but i don't know
> what software install. What is better?
>
> GCL - GNU Common LISP
> CMUCL - CMU Common LISP

CMUCL
From: Gene E. Scogin
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:01:18 +0200, Piero Campanelli <········@tin.it> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>i want to start programming LISP in linu xenvironment...but i don't know
>what software install. What is better?
>
>GCL - GNU Common LISP
>CMUCL - CMU Common LISP
>
>what is better?
>Is it also propedeutic to start using LISP extension of EMACS?

You might also want to consider Allegro Common Lisp from Franz Inc.
the linux version is available for free.  Check out
http://www.franz.com.  It has a very nice interface that uses
[x]emacs.  Especially nice is being able to have two different
sessions talking to the same interpreter.  It is faster than GCL, but
I have not had a chance to bench mark it against CMUCL.

Gene E. Scogin
From: Patrick Tufts
····@xyzzy.foo.bar (Gene E. Scogin) writes:

>On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:01:18 +0200, Piero Campanelli <········@tin.it> wrote:
>>GCL - GNU Common LISP
>>CMUCL - CMU Common LISP
>>
>>what is better?

When I was looking at free Lisps for Linux 6 months ago, CMUCL was
much, much better than GCL.  GCL seemed at the time to be barely
supported, while CMUCL had (and has) a very active group of
people working on it.

The one shortcoming of CMUCL on 80x86 architectures is that the
garbage collector is supposedly very inefficient.  In porting CMUCL
from RISC machines, the people doing the work had a very hard time
dealing with the reduced number of registers.

Allegro CL for Linux is free for now, but I strongly suspect they'll
charge money for it when it becomes popular.

--Pat
From: Christopher B. Browne
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:01:18 +0200, Piero Campanelli <········@tin.it> posted:
>i want to start programming LISP in linu xenvironment...but i don't know
>what software install. What is better?
>
>GCL - GNU Common LISP
>CMUCL - CMU Common LISP

>what is better?

Common wisdom is that CMUCL is better.
--
Christopher B. Browne, ········@hex.net, ············@sdt.com
PGP Fingerprint: 10 5A 20 3C 39 5A D3 12  D9 54 26 22 FF 1F E9 16