From: Karl M. Hegbloom
Subject: Re: CLX manual... `gv' and `Lectern'

    Paul> These are new to me. Lectern? The DEC thing is no doubt free
    Paul> software?  What is 'gv' and where can I find it?

 `gv' is the newest `ghostview' incarnation; it is very much improved.
I don't know whether it will compile under anything but Linux...  but
I do know you can find it either through:

  ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/hamm/hamm/source/text/

... or back a couple levels, then down into the binary--packages tree,
if you're running Debian GNU/Linux---with `dpkg' to install it.
You'll probably want to grab the .diff.gz too; look it over and see, I
guess.  I don't know the canonical distribution site offhand...  I
suppose that you could get it off sunsite.unc.edu, or turn it up with
an archie search.

 It works the absolute best with Aladdin ghostscript, which has
anti-aliasing.  Another trick is to get Adobe's `acroread' and steal
the fonts for `gs'.

 `Lectern' is from the DEC SRC "Virtual Paper" project, at:

  http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/virtualpaper/

... you might like it; I sure do.  It makes pretty big files, compared
to .pdf, but it's free, and I actually prefer its interface to
`acroread'.  I bought an iomega parallel port Zip drive, and put all
my Lectern books on those now.  With the new Linux `Curtin' ECP/EPP
ppa driver, it's fast enough to use, and works very well.

 With Lectern, you can move around in a book really well.  One key to
hit the index, find what you want, then just type the page number and
press Enter, and it takes you there.  Another key for the table of
contents, and its easy to make bookmarks as well.  The documents are
searchable---press `f' and type what you are looking for, and it will
take you to it.

--
··············@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg