From: Karl M. Hegbloom
Subject: CLX manual in TeX-info? (or should I go ahead and create it?)
 I've begun to convert the CLX manual to GNU TeX-info form.  Before I
put too much work into it, though, I'd like to find out if anyone else
has done that or is working on it already.  Unless you've got the
original sources to it...

 I thought this would be a good way to learn TeX-info and to read the
CLX manual as I go.  I'm using the CLX postscript files that come
along with CMU-CL for Linux.  The pages in them are in back-to-front
order, and there is no document-structuring, so `gv' cannot page
backwards in them, making it a real pain to read.

 I've run them through `pstotext', and reversed the page order with a
quick emacs lisp program.  I have begun to read the TeX-info manual,
and, unless someone else has already done so, I will mark the CLX
manual up for Info.  I have not looked into Copyright issues yet.  I
think it's public domain though...

 Is anyone actually *using* CLX for anything?

--
··············@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
From: Gilbert Baumann
·······@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
>  I've begun to convert the CLX manual to GNU TeX-info form.

Oh, GREAT! I always hate it, when I am forced to walk over to the book
shelf to look something up. And there is never enough space on the
table for the manual ...

> Before I
> put too much work into it, though, I'd like to find out if anyone else
> has done that or is working on it already.  Unless you've got the
> original sources to it...

The original sources exists somewhere. I think I had seen them in the
X11R5 distribution. (Unfortunately I can't find my tape right now.)
I remember it was in some format, which looked strange too me.

>  I've run them through `pstotext', and reversed the page order with a
> quick emacs lisp program.  I have begun to read the TeX-info manual,
> and, unless someone else has already done so, I will mark the CLX
> manual up for Info.

Will you preserve the faces or are you going to produce a mere ASCII
document?

> I have not looked into Copyright issues yet.  I
> think it's public domain though...

I hope so.

>  Is anyone actually *using* CLX for anything?

At least one person uses it a lot.

Gilbert Baumann