From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
Subject: anybody using clue ?
I've noticed that clue/clio somehow made their way into the CMUCL
Linux binary set.  Anybody using them still?  I have some CLIM based
code i'd like to move to sth. free and portable (clx depedency is OK,
Motif I'd like to avoid.).

I need nothing extremely fancy (the main display is an editable dag.)
Aside from raw CLX, what else is out there that's stable, portable and
free?  Garnet is a bit too big and no longer supported, so I'm not too
keen about it.  How about tk-lisp?

I don't mind the learning curve if there's some elegance to be
appreciated in the system, but I don't want to repeat my CLIM
experience again (expensive and only available for expensive Unix
on expensive hardware, so I basically wasted my time getting
comfortable with it).

The faq on this seems dated and doesn't include user comments.  Thanks.

BM

From: Karl M. Hegbloom
Subject: Re: anybody using clue ?

    Bulent> I've noticed that clue/clio somehow made their way into
    Bulent> the CMUCL Linux binary set.  Anybody using them still?  I
    Bulent> have some CLIM based code i'd like to move to sth. free
    Bulent> and portable (clx depedency is OK, Motif I'd like to
    Bulent> avoid.).

 I don't know what they are yet...  But plan to find out.

    Bulent> I need nothing extremely fancy (the main display is an
    Bulent> editable dag.)  Aside from raw CLX, what else is out there
    Bulent> that's stable, portable and free?  Garnet is a bit too big
    Bulent> and no longer supported, so I'm not too keen about it.
    Bulent> How about tk-lisp?

 Garnet sounds really neat.  It's got gesture recognition, like
`strokes.el' in XEmacs.  Does it compile and run in CMU-CL?  Or in GCL
or ECoLisp?  I want to try it and find out more about it.

--
··············@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
From: Gilbert Baumann
Bulent Murtezaoglu <·····@servtech.com> writes:

> I've noticed that clue/clio somehow made their way into the CMUCL
> Linux binary set.  Anybody using them still?  I have some CLIM based
> code i'd like to move to sth. free and portable (clx depedency is OK,
> Motif I'd like to avoid.).
>
> I need nothing extremely fancy (the main display is an editable dag.)
> Aside from raw CLX, what else is out there that's stable, portable and
> free?  Garnet is a bit too big and no longer supported, so I'm not too
> keen about it.  How about tk-lisp?

    I use CLM a lot. However CLM is far from being elegant, it is mere
a RPC interface Motif. When Motif is a problem for you, you could try
it with Lesstif. I did once and it looked promising. But you have to
hack the CLM code to get it working with Motif 2.0 due to stupid #if's
in the code, which check only on the Motif's minor version number. I
should probably make my modifications available.

    When you want to do graphics, you could easily drop back to
CLX. This is important for me, since I need decent graphics
performance.

    So does anybody besides me use CLM anyhow?

    I found CLUE/CLIO buggy and was not able to adapt it to my
reimplementation of CLX for CLISP. Then I found Garnet much too large
for smaller projects.

Gilbert Baumann
From: Martin Cracauer
Bulent Murtezaoglu <·····@servtech.com> writes:

>I've noticed that clue/clio somehow made their way into the CMUCL
>Linux binary set.  Anybody using them still?

I don't know of any major public project using these. Harlequin's
Lispworks is still based on them, though.

>I have some CLIM based
>code i'd like to move to sth. free and portable (clx depedency is OK,
>Motif I'd like to avoid.).

>I need nothing extremely fancy (the main display is an editable dag.)
>Aside from raw CLX, what else is out there that's stable, portable and
>free?  Garnet is a bit too big and no longer supported, so I'm not too
>keen about it.  How about tk-lisp?

>I don't mind the learning curve if there's some elegance to be
>appreciated in the system, but I don't want to repeat my CLIM
>experience again (expensive and only available for expensive Unix
>on expensive hardware, so I basically wasted my time getting
>comfortable with it).

A Tk binding is part of the GCL distribution and a port of it to CMUCL
can be found at http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/~thorsten/lisp/lisp.html.

There is a "Free CLIM effort" on www.cons.org/free-clim/, but the only
piece of code here is Scott Musman's CLIM-like Expresswindows clone
"clinc", which has an API similar to CLIM. It doesn't run on GCL and
CMUCL, just Clisp and commercial Unix Lisps. To be found on
ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/languages/lisp/free-clim.

I'd say that a Tk-based solution is best if you are satisfied with a
rather straightforward GUI control. If you want more support from your
GUI toolkit, I wouldn't give up on Garnet too early. Today a cheap PC
with CMUCL can run it quite well.

Martin
--
···············@wavehh.hanse.de http://www.cons.org/cracauer/