From: Mark Greenaway
Subject: Re: Why learn LISP?
ยทยทยทยท@ksc15.th.com (Andrew Criswell) writes:

>This question is sincerely asked. I am not a professional programmer,
>nor a computer scientist, just someone who is casually interesting in
>programming, especially in the fields of finance and econometrics. I
>have read through most of Winston and Horn's "Lisp", 3rd edition, and
>I must admit by the end I see very little use to put to LISP, either
>in my field or any other, especially when you take into account the
>many other programming languages available on the market that allow
>for neat user interaction.

Better mathematical support. Arguably better tools. The ability to
prototype systems incredibly quickly and arguably do things easily that
are difficult to do well in other languages. Dynamism. The ability to
change things at run-time, without bringing the whole system down.

>So, I hope someone can convince me otherwise. To my casual eye, the
>programme is eloquent. Is it something to be studied for its internal
>beauty and nothing more?

I would be tempted to say that about Scheme. But Scheme makes a fantastic
macro language for applications, among other things.
--
Mark
Certified Waifboy                   And when they come to ethnically cleanse me