From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: advice?
SDS <···········@cctrading.com> writes:

> Emacs comes with advice.el which claims to "implement a full-fledged
> Lisp-style advice mechanism". Nevertheless, advice is mentioned in
> neither CLtL2, nor CLHS, nor in apropos in CLISP or ACL 3.0.2.
> From reading advice.el, I understand (more or less) what advice is and
> what it is good for, but I would like to request some background
> information, like when/where did the idea of advice come from, where it
> was first implemented, why is it not in CL, should I learn and use it in
> Emacs (well, this should be asked in an emacs n/g, but anyway... :-)

I cannot really help you in figuring out the genesis of 'advice'
(which is - more or less - a compiler aid).  But the only real advice
that can be given to anyone using Emacs Lisp is to make sure that

	(require 'cl)

appears at the beginning of your files and that you use 'defstruct'
whenever possible and reasonable.  Not to speak of "when" instead of
"(if <test> (progn <form>*))"

Cheers :)

PS. I know that (require 'cl) was made "autoloaded" at a certain point
in Emacs history.

--
Marco Antoniotti
California Path Program - UC Berkeley