From: Richard Demanowski
Subject: problems with GCL
I'm having trouble making GCL on my system.

I'm running Red Hat 4.2, Linux kernel 2.0.30
I got gcl-2.2.2.tar.gz from gatekeeper.dec.com
My gcc is 2.7.2.1
my ld is 2.7 (with BFD 2.7.0.2)

when I run the make, I get the following error every time:

	ld: cannot open -lc: No such file or directory
	make[1]: *** [raw_gcl] Error 1
	make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.2.2/unixport'
	make: *** [all] Error 2

what does it mean?  I can't find the call to ld that seems to be causing
this error.  I've never enountered this before, which isn't surprising,
considering that the only other "big" thing I've ever compiled is the
Linux kernel.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you for your time.

RichD
--
········@wasatch.com                            finger for PGP public key
                  http://www.wasatch.com/~rdemanow/
From: Alexey Goldin
Subject: Re: problems with GCL
········@wasatch.com (Richard Demanowski) writes:

> I'm having trouble making GCL on my system.
>
> I'm running Red Hat 4.2, Linux kernel 2.0.30
> I got gcl-2.2.2.tar.gz from gatekeeper.dec.com
> My gcc is 2.7.2.1
> my ld is 2.7 (with BFD 2.7.0.2)
>
> when I run the make, I get the following error every time:
>
> 	ld: cannot open -lc: No such file or directory
> 	make[1]: *** [raw_gcl] Error 1
> 	make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.2.2/unixport'
> 	make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> what does it mean?  I can't find the call to ld that seems to be causing
> this error.  I've never enountered this before, which isn't surprising,
> considering that the only other "big" thing I've ever compiled is the
> Linux kernel.

It can not find libc.a static library. Try to install package
with name like libc-static-5.*something*.i386.rpm