From: Jugal Kolita
Subject: Re: Running compiled Lisp code from command line; using LISP for CGI programming
I just  don't want to use another server. We have several servers running
at school here and I wanted to show it to others that it's possible
to write CGI programs in Lisp withouht the hastle of installing
another server. I know Perl somewhat well and it happens to
be a big language, especially Perl 5. But, it is being used
by almost everyone for CGI scripting at this time. Common Lisp,
which is superior in terms of functionality  may be a good
scirpting language if it could be used.

Jugal

From: ···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ)
Subject: Re: Running compiled Lisp code from command line; using LISP for CGI
+        programming
Date: Tue Oct 07 12:32:10 EDT 1997

······@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Jugal Kolita) writes:

> 2) USING LISP TO CREATE CGI SCRIPTS:
>       I also want to use Lisp for CGI scripts. I have used
>       Perl quite a bit for CGI programming, but I am not
>       sure how to go about doing so with Lisp. I don't
>       want to use the CL-HTTP server available from MIT.

I'm curious why you don't want to use the MIT CL-HTTP server.  It
provides a nice integration of lisp with HTTP and has the bonus of being
faster than CGI scripts, in part because there is no process start-up
overhead in responding to computed pages.  That is because the functions
are already present in the server itself, rather than being invoked as
separate processes.  I imagine that this process start-up overhead will
be even worse for anything that first has to start up an entire lisp job
before processing.

In answer to your actual question, I would imagine that you should be
able accomplish your immediate goal once you get a command line
invocation of lisp code functional.  Unfortunately I don't know anything
about GCL, so I'll have to leave that to others.

From: Will Hartung
······@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Jugal Kolita) writes:

>I just  don't want to use another server. We have several servers running
>at school here and I wanted to show it to others that it's possible
>to write CGI programs in Lisp withouht the hastle of installing
>another server. I know Perl somewhat well and it happens to
>be a big language, especially Perl 5. But, it is being used
>by almost everyone for CGI scripting at this time. Common Lisp,
>which is superior in terms of functionality  may be a good
>scirpting language if it could be used.

As far as stand-alone scripting, there is probably more work being
done in Scheme than in CL. SIOD works real well, but I think that
there are folks using most of the major implementations out there.

Plus there are several versions of Scheme that will compile into C.

In essence, they are doing what folks here are saying to do with Lisp,
but several of the Scheme's support the shells #! syntax directly.
SIOD also comes in a DLL for working on the Gates Of Hell's systems.

I imagine scsh would fit in here as well.

No, Scheme is not CL, but its closer than Perl is, and seems to
be more of a focus for scripters right now.

So, if none of the Lisp solutions suit you, you may want to look at
its baby brother.

--
Will Hartung - Rancho Santa Margarita. It's a dry heat. ······@netcom.com
1990 VFR750 - VFR=Very Red    "Ho, HaHa, Dodge, Parry, Spin, HA! THRUST!"
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <············@netnews.upenn.edu>, ······@linc.cis.upenn.edu
(Jugal Kolita) wrote:

> I just  don't want to use another server. We have several servers running
> at school here and I wanted to show it to others that it's possible
> to write CGI programs in Lisp withouht the hastle of installing
> another server. I know Perl somewhat well and it happens to
> be a big language, especially Perl 5. But, it is being used
> by almost everyone for CGI scripting at this time. Common Lisp,
> which is superior in terms of functionality  may be a good
> scirpting language if it could be used.

SIOD is an obvious choice.

The biggest issue otherwise maybe startup time. If
you have CLISP in main memory, it might be fast enough.

Other option: take a Lisp do a connection via
CGI to a running Lisp.

Another option: compile a Lisp library, so that you can link
it against the web server, or load it via some server
extension mechanism.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/