From: Wayne Throop
Subject: prime factorization in common lisp
I thought this would be easy to find, but I haven't had much luck.
What I wanted was lisp code, loadable and compilable by most common lisp
implementations (in my case, gcl-2.1), to do prime factorizations
of numbers of a few tens of digits.  Bignums, but not all that big.

I found

  - the factorization and primality testing software
    that's a part of calc-2.02b.
  - the factorization and primality testing software
    that's in the portable scheme library
  - the primality search software that's part of PGP

But none are realy in common lisp, and none are cleanly
separable from their environment.  I could get all the software
to allow me to build the C code from PGP, or a scheme interpreter
and the portable scheme library, or I could load and learn to
use calc.  All seem overkill for what I want, and are all in the
wrong language(es) to boot.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Does such a thing exist?  Should I get a scheme interpreter
and the portable library (which seems closest to what I want)?
Or install emacs (with elisp) and use calc (which seems way overkill)?
Or what?

--
Wayne Throop   ·······@sheol.org   http://sheol.org/throopw