From: Ellis D. Cooper, Ph.D.
Subject: Call for Papers
---------------------Call to Mathematical
Phenomenologists-----------------------
October 1, 1997

In April, 1994 at the conference in Tucson, Arizona, "Toward a Scientific
Basis
for Consciousness", I announced my intention to publish a CD ROM on
consciousness.
Althought the idea was greeted warmly, no one threw money at me
to finance the project. However, things have changed since then in some
ways
which allow me to move ahead. First, equipment costs are down by an order
of
magnitude. Second, I have produced a fair amount of material developing my
own
mathematical ideas about consciousness. Third, I have narrowed the scope of
the CD ROM.
Specifically, this shall be a CD ROM entitled, "Towards a Mathematical
Science of
Consciousness", and I invite you to contribute. In other
words, if you have a mathematical musing on consciousness, or a
mathematical
philosophy, theory, or science of consciousness, then I will publish it on
this
CD ROM. The more media the better: text, graphics, sound, animation, etc.
HTML
encoding is preferred, and assistance on conversion to HTML readily can be
provided.

My first concerns, as Editor and Publisher, are clarity and coherence. It
is my
belief that "rigor cleans the window through which intuition shines". I do
not
claim that my own work is a perfect example, but you can see all of it at
the
URL http://www.ec3.com. This is the material I will publish under my name.
You
will see, especially at http://www.ec3.com/now/now00032.htm, that personal
material is included. this adds depth and spice, but also is kind of a
response
to the question, "What is it like to be a bat?", except I would rather know
what it is like to be human: here is what it is like to be me. You are
encouraged
to add to your mathematical material something about what it is like to be
you.
One more thing. It seems only fair that if copies of the CD ROM are sold,
then
proceeds after costs of manufacture should be distributed equitably among
the
contributors. Thus, there is an incentive not only for clarity and
coherence,
but also towards marketability. (The copyrights of contributions shall be
retained by the authors, respectively.)

If this project appeals to you, or you have questions about the project,
please send them - or notification of your intention to contribute a
mathematical
musing, philosophy, theory or science of consciousness - to me at
······@delphi.com
by December 31, 1997. Final submissions should be ready for imprinting on a
CD ROM
by March 24, 1998.