From: William Paul Vrotney
Subject: Re: Is there a "bible" of Artificial Intelligence??
In article <··············@sunserv.idasys.se> Ingvar Mattsson
<······@sunserv.idasys.se> writes:

> Aaron Leung <······@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:
>

> > Chris Wolters wrote:
> >
> [Q: is there an AI analouge to CGI's Foley/VanDam? ]
> >     A good book to look at might be 'Paradigms of Artificial
> > Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp' by Peter Norvig.
> > It covers different topics than the ones you mentioned, focusing more on
> > specific applications, but it may be a useful foundation before moving
> > on to more specialized texts.
>
> And yet another good book is "Artificial Intelligence" by Elaine
> Rich/<mumble> Knight. Unfortunately, I don't have it handy, so I can't
> provide an ISBN.

Artificial Intelligence, Second Edition - Elaine Rich, Kevin Knight -
McGraw-Hill - ISBN 0-07-052263-4

Rich's First Edition is good also.

--

William P. Vrotney - ·······@netcom.com
From: Sashank Varma
In article <·················@netcom.com>, ·······@netcom.com (William
Paul Vrotney) wrote:

> In article <··············@sunserv.idasys.se> Ingvar Mattsson
> <······@sunserv.idasys.se> writes:

> > Aaron Leung <······@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:

> > > Chris Wolters wrote:
> > >
> > [Q: is there an AI analouge to CGI's Foley/VanDam? ]
> > >     A good book to look at might be 'Paradigms of Artificial
> > > Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp' by Peter Norvig.

> > And yet another good book is "Artificial Intelligence" by Elaine
> > Rich/<mumble> Knight. Unfortunately, I don't have it handy, so I can't
> > provide an ISBN.

> Artificial Intelligence, Second Edition - Elaine Rich, Kevin Knight -
> McGraw-Hill - ISBN 0-07-052263-4
>
> Rich's First Edition is good also.

I've been consulting three AI textbooks a lot recently for
their material on uniformed and informed search, constraint
satisfaction, and reasoning with uncertainty: Winston's,
Rich and Knight's, and Russell and Norvig's. I find Russell
and Norvig's the most modern and comprehensive of the bunch,
with Rich and Knight second and Winston third.

What's more fascinating is the different emphases of the books.
Russell and Norvig stress the logical and probablistic approaches
throughout their book, reflecting to some degree their Northern
CA educations. Winston covers research out of the MIT tradition
more heavily than the others, and if you pay attention (especially
to the first edition), Rich and Knight carries the scent of CMU.
So, for example, Russell and Norvig do the best job on Bayesian
networks, Winston the best on vision in the blocks world, and
Rich and Knight the best on cognitive and blackboard
architectures.

But, in general, Russell and Norvig cover the most, cover it
more deeply than the others, and provide enough details (and
hint at the existence of code) for you to actually begin writing
some code. Plus, they include a nice history of AI and discuss
philosophical issues.

Sashank