From: Raimondas Kiveris
Subject: Re: How to read from a file which has `:'?
In article <·············@WINTERMUTE.eagle>,
SDS  <···········@cctrading.com> wrote:
>I have to read from a file (a stream) which contains some text with
>numbers, so I want the numbers to be parsed, but I don't want to be
>pestered by error messages that #zzz is undefined and xxx is not a valid
>package name (when the file has "xxx:" in it).

What a coincidence. I was wrestling with the same problem couple of
days ago.

The solution that worked for me was to make #\: a terminating
character with
(set-macro-character #\: (get-macro-character #\a)
		     nil  *parser-rt*)

That leaves me with (XX |:2|) when reading token XX:2
so I have to filter the result of read through function that
assembles (XX |:2|) back into |XX:2|. Not very efficient.

I wonder too if there is an elegant solution to this problem

Thanks,

	=Rai
From: Raimondas Kiveris
SDS  <···········@cctrading.com> wrote:

> >> The solution that worked for me was to make #\: a terminating
> >> character with
> >> (set-macro-character #\: (get-macro-character #\a)
> >> 		     nil  *parser-rt*)
>
>Interesting. But (get-macro-character #\a) returns nil, which is not a
>function, so this signals an error.

Bummer!
This must be implementation-dependant thing then.

On Allegro CL 4.3:

USER(1): (get-macro-character #\a)
#<Function READ-TOKEN>
USER(2): (apropos "READ-TOKEN")
EXCL::READ-TOKEN    [function] (STREAM FIRSTCHAR)

Sorry about the confusion

	=Rai