From: Runser Guillaume
Subject: translate mathematics expressions to lisp expressions
Hello Everybody !!!

I'm student in a french School (IPSE Belfort) and we have a new project
to program in EMACS - LISP:

the goal is to make a program that translate mathematics expression like :

sin ( (1+ cotan(x*x-3x+2)) / (2*e(x)))

in Lisp expression.

( sin (+ 1 (cotan (x .................)

Did anyone have an idea how to start this project, or perhaps it is always
done ??

I look forward for your reply ...

Thank you

Guillaume Runser
---------------------
E-Mail : ··················@wanadoo.fr

---------------------
From: Rainer Joswig
Runser Guillaume wrote:

> Hello Everybody !!!
>
> I'm student in a french School (IPSE Belfort) and we have a new
> project
> to program in EMACS - LISP:
>
> the goal is to make a program that translate mathematics expression
> like :
>
> sin ( (1+ cotan(x*x-3x+2)) / (2*e(x)))
>
> in Lisp expression.

> Did anyone have an idea how to start this project,

Sure, write a parser for the algebraic notation and a printer for the
prefix
form. This a common problem given to students. I guess you should
learn something by solving it by yourself (recursion, tree-like
data structures, symbolic math, parsing, ...).

> or perhaps it is always
> done ??

There is a **large** math package for Emacs called "calc".