From: David Whiteman
Subject: Re: Where to buy languages?
Ilja M�ki wrote in message <·················@tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>...
>Hello!
>
>I'm a Finnish student and I should have to find a place in the Internet
>where you can
>buy (and order) the computer language enveronments as lisp (for either
>windows 95 or linux), smalltalk (for either windows 95 or linux) and
>prolog (for linux). I stress the word
>BUY, i.e. not any sharewares, because these are for our school for
>educational purposes,
>and they should be complete versions

You should take a look at Smalltalk Express which can be downloaded from
http://www.objectshare.com.  It's totally free, but it's a complete product
(not shareware).

Hope this helps,
David

From: Rene van Paassen
David Whiteman (········@appliedreasoning.com) wrote:

> Ilja M�ki wrote in message <·················@tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>...
> >Hello!
> >
> >I'm a Finnish student and I should have to find a place in the Internet
> >where you can
> >buy (and order) the computer language enveronments as lisp (for either
> >windows 95 or linux), smalltalk (for either windows 95 or linux) and
> >prolog (for linux). I stress the word
> >BUY, i.e. not any sharewares, because these are for our school for
> >educational purposes,
> >and they should be complete versions

> You should take a look at Smalltalk Express which can be downloaded from
> http://www.objectshare.com.  It's totally free, but it's a complete product
> (not shareware).

And look at mercury. This is not exactly prolog, but close,
	http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/

> Hope this helps,
> David

And this too,
Rene

--
---
Ren� van Paassen          ··············@WbMT.TUDelft.nl-no-spam-please
From: John English
David Whiteman (········@appliedreasoning.com) wrote:

: Ilja M�ki wrote in message <·················@tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>...
: >I'm a Finnish student and I should have to find a place in the Internet
: >where you can
: >buy (and order) the computer language enveronments as lisp (for either
: >windows 95 or linux), smalltalk (for either windows 95 or linux) and
: >prolog (for linux). I stress the word BUY, i.e. not any sharewares,
: >because these are for our school for educational purposes, and they
: >should be complete versions

: You should take a look at Smalltalk Express which can be downloaded from
: http://www.objectshare.com.  It's totally free, but it's a complete product
: (not shareware).

Also see http://burks.bton.ac.uk -- this is an online copy of a
non-profit educational CD which includes compilers, tutorials,
FAQs and reference manuals for over 20 different languages, as
well as a lot more -- Lisp, Smalltalk and Prolog are represented,
and there's a copy of Smalltalk Express in the Smalltalk section;
there's also a complete copy of Linux, so it seems to cover all
the things above...

 John English              | ·········@brighton.ac.uk
 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk
From: Dave Astels
John English <··@bton.ac.uk> wrote in article
<··········@saturn.brighton.ac.uk>...
> David Whiteman (········@appliedreasoning.com) wrote:
>
> : Ilja M�ki wrote in message <·················@tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>...
> : >I'm a Finnish student and I should have to find a place in the
Internet
> : >where you can
> : >buy (and order) the computer language enveronments as lisp (for either
> : >windows 95 or linux)

Well, under linux you can use GCL (GNU Common Lisp) which is the latest
incarnation of AKCL one of the standard UNIX LISPs.  Another option is to
get Allegro CL for Linux from Franz Inc.  They're shipping it free as a
service to the Linux community (with the caveat that you can't use it for
commercial purposes).  Check their site (www.franz.com) and follow the
links and send them mail asking for it.  I haven't received my copy of it
yet so I can't comment.  I have faith in GCL, however, given it's history.

As for Smalltalk... There was a Dolphin ST for Win 95 a while ago... never
looked at it so I can't comment.  And of course ST Express.  I did some
commercial development with that (When it was for sale as Smalltalk/V
Win)... not again.. it'd be great for educational purposes, though.
From: Kevin Ryan
On 11 Dec 1997 03:58:00 GMT, "Dave Astels" <·······@tragoes.com>
wrote:

>John English <··@bton.ac.uk> wrote in article
><··········@saturn.brighton.ac.uk>...
>> David Whiteman (········@appliedreasoning.com) wrote:
>>
>> : Ilja M�ki wrote in message <·················@tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>...
>> : >I'm a Finnish student and I should have to find a place in the
>Internet
>> : >where you can
>> : >buy (and order) the computer language enveronments as lisp (for either
>> : >windows 95 or linux)
>
>Well, under linux you can use GCL (GNU Common Lisp) which is the latest
>incarnation of AKCL one of the standard UNIX LISPs.  Another option is to
>get Allegro CL for Linux from Franz Inc.  They're shipping it free as a
>service to the Linux community (with the caveat that you can't use it for
>commercial purposes).  Check their site (www.franz.com) and follow the
>links and send them mail asking for it.  I haven't received my copy of it
>yet so I can't comment.  I have faith in GCL, however, given it's history.
>
>As for Smalltalk... There was a Dolphin ST for Win 95 a while ago... never
>looked at it so I can't comment.  And of course ST Express.  I did some
>commercial development with that (When it was for sale as Smalltalk/V
>Win)... not again.. it'd be great for educational purposes, though.

The base development environment of Dolphin is free and is now out of
beta.

It is a modern compact smalltalk that is specific to the Windows 95
and NT environments.  It has a clean well-factored hierarchy.

See  http://www.object-arts.com

Kevin Ryan
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Dave Astels" <·······@tragoes.com> writes:

> Well, under linux you can use GCL (GNU Common Lisp) which is the latest
> yet so I can't comment.  I have faith in GCL, however, given it's history.

Do they include DEFPACKAGE in their latest build?

--
Marco Antoniotti
California Path Program - UC Berkeley
From: Claus Witfelt
Dear Ilja

Visual Prolog exists in a text-mode version for Linux. Please see
http://www.pdc.dk for more information. Here you will also find the
adress of our finish distributor.

yours

Claus Witfelt

From: Pascal Fischer
You can also order for 95$ a full smalltalk objectstudio developer version
:
http://www.cincom.com/objectstudio

Pascal Fischer