From: ···@sasi.com
Subject: How to set a variable value by shell script.
Hi,
  While opening XEmacs if I want to set the value of a variable,
that is being used in a elisp code that is also loaded with Emacs,
how do I do it? I want to set the value using shell script.
   This question may be too simple, but please, do forgive my
ignorance, as I am a starter in emacs and elisp.
Thanking u all in anticipation
ARIJIT.

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: How to set a variable value by shell script.
···@sasi.com writes:

> While opening XEmacs if I want to set the value of a variable, that
> is being used in a elisp code that is also loaded with Emacs, how do
> I do it? I want to set the value using shell script.

If I understand the question, this should do it:

xemacs -eval "(setq variable VALUE)"

Note that comp.emacs or comp.emacs.xemacs might be more appropriate
for Emacs-related questions.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <·······@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
From: Karl M. Hegbloom

    arj>   While opening XEmacs if I want to set the value of a
    arj>   variable,
    arj> that is being used in a elisp code that is also loaded with
    arj> Emacs, how do I do it? I want to set the value using shell
    arj> script.

 I assume you know how to get the docstring to a function with `C-h f'.

 You could use `getenv' to retrieve it from the environment, and
 `setq' or `defvar' to set the variable.  Or, you could use the `-l'
 commandline option to load a lisp file with the definitions set up in
 it.