From: Dave MacQueen
Subject: ACM POPL '98 Call for Participation
            ACM PRINCIPLES OF PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES (POPL '98)
                    Twenty-fifth Annual ACM Symposium
	       January 19 - 21, 1998, San Diego, California

	        ADVANCE PROGRAM AND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

POPL '98 is the 25th in the series that started in Boston in 1973.  In
honor of this anniversary, we will have special invited talks from
John Reynolds (CMU), Gerard Berry (Ecole des Mines/INRIA), and
Mark Wegman (IBM), as well as a regular invited talk by Peter Lee (CMU).

The Fifth International Workshop on Foundations of Object Oriented
Languages (FOOL 5) will be held in conjunction with POPL '98 on
January 17 - 18, 1998.

Important Dates
===============

>>>December 17, 1997<<< -  expiration of special POPL hotel rates
>>>December 31, 1997<<< -  deadline for advance registration discount

Important URLs
==============

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dbm/popl98/

   General POPL '98 information, including the advance program,
   registration and hotel.

http://www.cs.williams.edu/~kim/FOOL/FOOL5.html

   Information about FOOL 5.

www.reg-master.com/popl98.html

   Online conference registration form.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/SANMV/

   San Diego Marriott Mission Valley Hotel web page.  Information
   on travel and facilities.

			   POPL'98 PROGRAM
                           ===============

MONDAY 19 JANUARY

Invited Talk: 9:00-10:00
    Where Theory and Practice Meet: POPL Past and Future
    John Reynolds, Carnegie Mellon University.

Session 1: 10:30-12:30.
    Chaired by Neil Jones, University of Copenhagen.

    Higher-Order UnCurrying
    John Hannan and Patrick Hicks

    Alias Analysis of Executable Code
    Samya Debray, Robert Muth and Matthew Weippert

    Escape Analysis: Correctness Proof, Implementation and Experimental
    Results
    Bruno Blanchet

    Data Flow Analysis is Model Checking of Abstract Interpretations
    David A. Schmidt

Session 2: 14:00-16:00.
    Chaired by Atsushi Ohori, Kyoto University.

    Bridging the Gulf: a Common Intermediate Language for ML and Haskell
    Simon Peyton Jones, John Launchbury, Mark Shields and Andrew Tolmach

    Correctness of Monadic State: An Imperative Call-by-Need Calculus
    Zena M. Ariola and Amr Sabry

    Functional Representation of Data Structures with a Hole
    Yasuhiko Minamide

    From System F to Typed Assembly Language
    Greg Morrisett, David Walker, Karl Crary, and Neal Glew

Session 3: 16:30-18:30.
    Chaired by Jeanne Ferrante, University of California, San Diego.

    Maximal Static Expansion
    Denis Barthou, Albert Cohen and Jean-Fran&ccedil;ois Collard

    Array SSA Form and its Use in Parallelization
    Kathleen Knobe and Vivek Sarkar

    Putting Pointer Analysis to Work
    Rakesh Ghiya and Laurie J. Hendren

    Edge Profiling versus Path Profiling: The Showdown
    Thomas Ball, Peter Mataga and Mooly Sagiv

TUESDAY, JANUARY 20, 1998

Invited Talk: 9:00-10:00.
    Global Trends in Flow Analysis
    Mark Wegman, IBM.

Session 4: 10:30-12:30.
    Chaired by Martin Odersky, University of South Australia.

    A Type System for Java Bytecode Subroutines
    Raymie Stata and Mart&iacute;n Abadi

    Java-light is Type-Safe -- Definitely
    Tobias Nipkow and David von Oheimb

    Classes and Mixins
    Matthew Flatt, Shriram Krishnamurthi and Matthias Felleisen

    Manufacturing Cheap, Resilient, and Stealthy Opaque Constructs
    Christian Collberg, Clark Thomborson and Douglas Low

Session 5: 14:00-16:00.
    Chaired by Nevin Heintze, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies.

    From Polyvariant Flow Information to Intersection and Union Types
    Jens Palsberg and Christina Pavlopoulou

    Inference of Polymorphic and Conditional Strictness Properties
    Thomas P. Jensen

    Fast Interprocedural Class Analysis
    Greg DeFouw, David Grove and Craig Chambers

    Path-Sensitive Value-Flow Analysis
    Rastislav Bod\'{i}k and Sadun Anik

Session 6: 16:30-18:30.
    Chaired by Xavier Leroy, INRIA, Rocquencourt.

    Local Type Inference
    Benjamin C. Pierce and David N. Turner

    Static Typing for Dynamic Messages
    Susumu Nishimura

    Second-order Unification and Type Inference for Church-style Polymorphism
    Aleksy Schubert

    Dynamic Typing as Staged Type Inference
    Mark Shields, Tim Sheard and Simon Peyton Jones

Invited Talk: 20:30-21:30.
    From Principles to Programming Languages
    G\'{e}rard Berry, \'{E}cole des Mines and INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 21, 1998

Invited Talk: 9:00-10:00.
    Proofs, Types, and Safe Mobile Code
    Peter Lee, Carnegie Mellon University.

Session 7: 10:30-12:30.
    Chaired by Davide Sangiorgi, INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis.

    Parallel Beta Reduction is not Elementary Recursive
    Andrea Asperti and Harry G. Mairson

    Parallelization in Calculational Forms
    Zhenjiang Hu, Masato Takeichi and Wei-Ngan Chin

    Single and Loving it: Must-Alias Analysis for Higher-Order Languages
    Suresh Jagannathan, Peter Thiemann, Stephen Weeks and Andrew Wright

    Barrier Inference
    Alexander Aiken and David Gay

Session 8: 14:00-16:00.
    Chaired by Andrew D. Gordon, University of Cambridge.

    Secure Information Flow in a Multi-Threaded Imperative Language
    Geoffrey Smith and Dennis Volpano

    The SLam Calculus: Programming with Secrecy and Integrity
    Nevin Heintze and Jon G. Riecke

    A Typed Language for Distributed Mobile Processes
    James Riely and Matthew Hennessy

    Security Properties of Typed Applets
    Xavier Leroy and Franois Rouaix

			 POPL '98 REGISTRATION
			 =====================

You can register for POPL '98 and FOOL 5 by filling out an online
form at http://www.reg-master.com/popl98.html.

Or if you prefer, you can register by printing and filling out the
following form and mailing it to:

    POPL '98
    c/o Carole Mann
    2060 Goldwater Court
    Maitland, FL 32751 USA

or faxing it to: +1 (407) 628-3186.

POPL '98 Registration Form

Name: ___________________________________________________

Affiliation: ____________________________________________

Address: ________________________________________________

Phone: _____________________________

Fax:   _____________________________

E-mail: _________________________________________________

Requirements:

 __ Vegetarian    __ Vegan    __ Kosher

 __ I do NOT want to be on the list of attendees
    which will be sent electronically, only to attendees.

Special Needs: __________________________________________

* Conference registration includes POPL '98 Proceedings,
  Reception (except for student registration), lunches
  and coffee breaks.
* Workshop registration includes lunch and coffee breaks

The deadline for early registration is 31 December 1997

               Fee Schedule (in US$)

(circle applicable fees)	Conference       Workshop
				----------       --------
			       early   late

ACM and (SIGACT or SIGPLAN)     350    400	   90
ACM or SIGACT or SIGPLAN	375    425	   90
Non-member			400    450	  100
Full-time Student		125    150	   60

               Payment Computation

Conference fee			$____________

FOOL5 Workshop			$____________

		Total Payment:  $____________

Make Checks or Money Orders payable to POPL '98.  If
paying by VISA, MasterCard, or American Express, please
complete the following:

Card #____________________________________

Expires__________     Signature___________________________

Mail Form to:
POPL '98
c/o Carole Mann
2060 Goldwater Court
Maitland, FL 32751 USA

Fax: +1 (407) 628-3186
(credit card payments only)

Or register on-line via:
www.reg-master.com/popl98.html

Cancellations are subject to a $50 administrative fee.

For Registration inquiries, please call +1 (407) 628-3602
or email: ····@cs.ucf.edu

			  HOTEL INFORMATION
			  =================

The conference hotel is the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley.  There
is a special conference rate of $89/night available until December 17,
1997.  Mention "Association for Computing Machinery" to receive the
POPL rates.

Information about hotel facilities and directions from the San Diego
International Airport are available at

  http://www.marriott.com/marriott/SANMV/

POPL '98 Hotel Registration Form

Mention "Association for Computing Machinery" to receive the POPL rates.
Valid if you register by December 17, 1997.

************************************
By Mail:
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
8757 Rio San Diego Drive
San Diego, CA  92108

By Phone:
+1 (619) 692-3800
************************************

Single or double occupancy rate:  $89.00 per night

Name(s):___________________________________________________________

Affiliation:_______________________________________________________

Address:___________________________________________________________
                              street

         city                        state      zip    country

Phones:_____________________________________________________________
             voice                            fax

arrival date          # nights          # rooms          # people

Guarantee room by credit card?

[ ]VISA           [ ]Master Card   [ ] American Express
[ ] Diners Club   [ ]Discover      [ ] Carte Blanche

                        number                            exp. date

--
Dave MacQueen
········@research.bell-labs.com