From: Matti Koskinen
Subject: Help with ACl4.3 for Linux
Hi

I'm trying to build Common Music Notation-package with ACl4.3 for Linux,
but acl crashes with segmentation violation. Sometimes the X-server
crashes too with sig 11, sometimes just acl. I tried to build acl with
more spcae, and set the *global-gc-behaviour* with the consequense that
the whole machine got stuck.

Normally the error comes after gc, ACL informs that xxxxxx bytes have
been tenured, next gc will be global, and after that crash. As I tried
to set gc off, the whole machine crashed.

CMN is quite a big package, but so is CLX and compiling CLX goes ok,
ACL informs about gc but continues. While compiling CMN, the last thing
ACL shows before gc is xxx will be stack allocated.

When I first time tried to compile CMN, I had only 16 MB of memory and
30 MB of swap and that was insufficient. I upgraded to 32 MB and 100MB,
but the problem remains. With clisp, CMN compiles ok (and faster and
with less memory, but I haven't been able to integrate XCM+CLM+CMN with
clisp)

My system is P133 w/ 32 MB ram, 100 MB swap, Linux 2.0.30

(I began with Linux 2.0.0 and as it failed, I installed Linux 2.0.30
hoping this would solve the problem)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-matti