From: Shintaro Nakayama
Subject: Lisp primitives
First thank you for those who replied my previous post, 'Lisp books'.
Your advices helped me a lot.

I have some basic questions. I want to make a program that displays the
content of an array. To do it, I must know the number of dimensions and the
size of them. I know I can get the size by using 'array-dimension',but how
can I know how many dimensions the array have? I think there are many
primitives I had better know. Is there any http where I can find many basic
but useful primitives?

I think these question are basic ones, and am afraid that basic ones may
not be suitable to this newsgroup. If you consider those are not suitable,
where or who can I ask my basic questions? There will be many situations
when I need someone's help.

Thank you.

Shintaro Nakayama
········@green.ocn.ne.jp(primary private)
········@angel.ne.jp(secondary private)
······@csc.titech.ac.jp(school)
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Lisp primitives
In article <··························@default>,
Shintaro Nakayama <········@green.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:
>I have some basic questions. I want to make a program that displays the
>content of an array. To do it, I must know the number of dimensions and the
>size of them. I know I can get the size by using 'array-dimension',but how
>can I know how many dimensions the array have? I think there are many

ARRAY-RANK will return the number of dimensions, and ARRAY-DIMENSIONS will
return all the dimensions as a list.

>primitives I had better know. Is there any http where I can find many basic
>but useful primitives?

The Common Lisp HyperSpec is a web site derived from the ANSI Common Lisp
specification.

I suggest you read the FAQ for this group, which has a pointer to this and
other useful web pages and books.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@bbnplanet.com
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>