From: Richard Demanowski
Subject: gcl question
Ok, this sounds a little stupid, but how do I exit gcl elegantly?

So far I've had to ^Z and kill, and it seems to me there must be a better
way.  I've tried all kinds of things including (quit) quit 'quit ('quit)
(exit) 'exit ('exit) 'exit si::quit si::exit and they all lead to an error
message.

I can't seem to find any documentation on this matter, either.  Can
someone point me to the gcl manual?

Thank you for your time
RichD
--
········@wasatch.com                            finger for PGP public key
                  http://www.wasatch.com/~rdemanow/

From: William Paul Vrotney
Subject: Re: gcl question
In article <············@twin.wasatch.com> ········@wasatch.com (Richard
Demanowski) writes:

>    Ok, this sounds a little stupid, but how do I exit gcl elegantly?
>
>    So far I've had to ^Z and kill, and it seems to me there must be a better
>    way.  I've tried all kinds of things including (quit) quit 'quit ('quit)
>    (exit) 'exit ('exit) 'exit si::quit si::exit and they all lead to an error
>    message.

Your not going to believe this, but you type

        (bye)

>    I can't seem to find any documentation on this matter, either.  Can
>    someone point me to the gcl manual?

I don't know if the GNU KCL (GCL) has any new documentation but there is KCL
documentation which can get you by.  There is a KCL Common Lisp Report and a
KCL Common Lisp Dictionary.

The history of GCL was

        KCL -> AKCL -> GCL

KCL which stands for Kyoto Common Lisp used to have the documents at

        rascal.ics.utexas.edu  /pub/kcl/kcl-report.tex.Z

but I tried it and couldn't seem to connect.  But doing some poking around
on the web I found

        http://ftp.sunet.se/ftp/pub/lang/lisp/impl/kcl/kcl/report/

--

William P. Vrotney - ·······@netcom.com
From: Dave Seaman
In article <·················@netcom.com>,
William Paul Vrotney <·······@netcom.com> wrote:

>In article <············@twin.wasatch.com> ········@wasatch.com (Richard
>Demanowski) writes:

>>    Ok, this sounds a little stupid, but how do I exit gcl elegantly?

>Your not going to believe this, but you type
>
>        (bye)

That works, but an even simpler way is to type ctrl-D, representing EOF on
input.  Most unix programs that read from stdin will exit on EOF.

--
Dave Seaman			·······@purdue.edu
      ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++