From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: C++ briar patch (Was: Object IDs are bad)
Peter da Silva (·····@nmti.com) wrote:
: In article <················@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum  <····@naggum.no> wrote:
: > in Common Lisp (since 1984), you could use hash tables for sets.

<Irritable Mode On>

: But a language without hash tables is still a lisp. A language without
: lists isn't a lisp.

<Sarcasm On>

A language without hash tables isn't necessarily a lisp.  C doesn't
have hash tables, yet by your logic it is a lisp.

<Sarcasm Off>

: > as for your theory of dereferencing pointers, a CONS is an object with two
: > slots.

: What's the difference between a slot and a pointer, semantically?
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Semantics has nothing to do with it.  My arguments were not with
respect to semantics, and if you had bothered to pay attention
you would know this.

: > CAR returns the _contents_ of the first slot, CDR the second.

: "Returning the contents of" is "dereferencing". That's what the word
: means, taking a reference to an object and returning the object itself.
: Whether the words you use are "a slot containing an object" or "a pointer
: to an object", semantically the operation is the same one.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Again since I'm not talking about semantics, your passage is irrelevant.

[Snip]

: (remember, I'm just responding to an assertion that pointers, as defined above,
:  don't exist in scheme)

Pointers as defined in a previous thread which you obviously didn't
read.

Suggestion: Read that thread.

<Irritable Mode Off>

: --
: The Reverend Peter da Silva, ULC, COQO, BOFH, 3D0G, KIBO, POPE Ziggy Wotzit II.
: Har du kramat din varg, idag? `-_-'                                Kulanu Kibo.
: Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!                                 Vi er alle Kibo.
: HEIL KIBO! HEIL KIBO! HEIL KIBO!                            Wir sind alle Kibo.

--
Cya,
Ahmed

Momma, where's your little daughter?
She's here, right here on the altar.
You should never have opened that door,
Now you're never gonna see her no more.
	"You Should Never Have Opened that Door" by the Ramones
From: Fergus Henderson
········@Bayou.UH.EDU (········@bayou.uh.edu) writes:

><Irritable Mode On>

All I can say is thank goodness for kill files.

--
Fergus Henderson <···@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger ···@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.