From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: C++ briar patch (Was: Object IDs are bad)
Peter da Silva (·····@nmti.com) wrote:
: In article <············@masala.cc.uh.edu>,
: ········@bayou.uh.edu <········@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
: > I think the question goes further to "do we even need to obtain and
: > dereference them?".  I'm using Scheme, and before that Haskell -- 2
: > languages without pointers, and I've yet to run into a situation
: > where I even remotely missed them much less thought about them.

: Last I checked, Scheme was a very close Lisp variant. Now, Lisp has pointers
: and pointer operations (CAR, CDR, RPLACA, RPLACD, ...). Doesn't Scheme?

However car, cdr, etc... implement their operations is a non-issue,
what matters is what we are made to see -- and in this case, we never
need to know that pointers are being dereferenced behind the scenes.
This entire genre of operations is abstracted away from us, we are
given a view of lists.  This is what I meant by "dereferencing".  I
explained this in a previous post, but only after I managed to cloud
the issue (I have a gift for being vague at the worst possible
moments).

In any case I hope I made things clearer.

: --
: The Reverend Peter da Silva, ULC, COQO, BOFH, 3D0G, KIBO, POPE Ziggy Wotzit II.
: Har du kramat din varg, idag? `-_-'                                Kulanu Kibo.
: Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!                                 Vi er alle Kibo.
: HEIL KIBO! HEIL KIBO! HEIL KIBO!                            Wir sind alle Kibo.

--
Cya,
Ahmed