From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: Learning from C++'s success ( was C++ briar patch )
James Logajan (······@netcom.com) wrote:
: ········@bayou.uh.edu (········@Bayou.UH.EDU) wrote:
: : James Logajan (······@netcom.com) wrote:
: : : ········@bayou.uh.edu (········@Bayou.UH.EDU) wrote:
: : : : If the number of assembly language programmers has declined
: : : [remaining "logic," unsupported assertions, and conclusion elided]
: : Translation: I snipped everything that could disprove what I am about
: : to say.

: IMHO, one should quote only enough of a Usenet news posting to establish
: context. Futhermore, thanks to automated news archivers such as Dejanews,
: your original posting is retrievable for just about forever, so any
: evil plot on my part to elide everything that could "disprove" what I say
: would be futile.

Actually the articles should be availble with more ease as any decent
newsreader should let people glance back at least a wee bit.

: I will admit that my eliding remark constitutes more opinion than
: logical argument, but surely you, of all people, would grant me the
: right to post my opinion to the net?

You've got the right to do anything you want, of course I have the
right to also strategically apply comments to your biased snips
to bias them in my direction -- ie: giving you a dose of your own
medicine.

Furthermore, since you are the one who is whining about logic, it seems
quite hypocritical that you'd snip and toss in a healthy dose of bias
rather than leaving my comments intact and actually commenting on what
bothers you with them.  The fact that you didn't do this makes it seem
like you've got something to hide.

: : First off, just so I know from where to discuss this, do you agree
: : at least that the number of assembly language programmers has
: : declined?

: I don't know if the number of assembly language programmers has declined or
: increased. I thought that it was up to you to establish the truth of your
: premises before you proceed to draw conclusions. Never mind what I believe;
: I have no "facts" to disprove your premises, but neither have you supplied
: any "facts" to support your premise. I don't see the point of checking the
: validity of any of the rest of your argument until you have at least
: established the validity of your premises.

My statements were based primarily on want ads of which I've been keeping
a close eye.  Looking at those ads, I've found it hard to find ones
that are looking for people who know assembly -- even as part of a
larger set of skills, whereas this wasn't the case In The Past(tm).
Of course, you may not regard this as compelling evidence, and I will
admit that want ads aren't the most reliable means on earth.  I've
also encountered this info in other sources -- which I cannot recall
offhand, but I will try to scour them and if I find them, post them
as a followup to your next followup.

: (But if you really really want my guess: I would GUESS that more
: programmers know assembly languages today than ever before in the short
: history of computers. I would GUESS that in absolute numbers, the amount
: of assembly language programming has increased. But I would GUESS that
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: assembly language programming constitutes a smaller fraction of all
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: programming being done than ever before. I would GUESS that there is just a
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: hell of a lot more programming in many different programming languages
: being done today than ever before.)

So first you attack my logic while hiding behind a snip, demand evidence,
and then agree with my statement?

So fill me in again -- if we are in agreement, what exactly are we
arguing about?

: : I would like an explicit agreement or disagreement on this
: : point before taking time to proceed.

: Since I disagree with your leading premise, perhaps you should
: first proceed to validate it.

But in the passage above, you explicitly agreed that assembly
programming has dropped.  Maybe you should get your own post straight
before criticising my logic -- at least I stick to one story.

--
Cya,
Ahmed

Big women -- I like the size
Big women -- flappy thighs
Big women, Big women, Big women fill my eyes!
	"Big Women" by G.B.H.