From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: Learning from C++'s success ( was C++ briar patch )
Paul Campbell (·································@lucent.com) wrote:
: David Hanley wrote:

: > I think as machines get faster, programmers will have less of an excuse
: > to keep
: > programming low-level code to save 10% of run-time.  It's not even a
: > valid excuse
: > now, IMO, but people still use it.
: >
: >         dave

: Exactly what people were saying 10 years ago :).

And 10 years later we see that they were right.  Assembly is on the
endangered species list (thank heavens), languages with Garbage Collection
(something people wouldn't have considered back then) are being taken
seriously -- heck, the "In" language today uses garbage collection
(hint: it's Java), and higher level languages are gaining more and
more ground.  Smalltalk use is growing, as is Lisp -- Super Mario 64's
world designer was written in Lisp as a matter of fact.

: Paul C
: UK.

--
Cya,
Ahmed
From: todd alden marshall
········@bayou.uh.edu wrote:

> Paul Campbell (·································@lucent.com) wrote:
> : David Hanley wrote:
>
> : > I think as machines get faster, programmers will have less of an excuse
> : > to keep
> : > programming low-level code to save 10% of run-time.  It's not even a
> : > valid excuse
> : > now, IMO, but people still use it.
> : >
> : >         dave
>
> : Exactly what people were saying 10 years ago :).
>
> And 10 years later we see that they were right.  Assembly is on the
> endangered species list (thank heavens), languages with Garbage Collection
> (something people wouldn't have considered back then) are being taken
> seriously -- heck, the "In" language today uses garbage collection
> (hint: it's Java), and higher level languages are gaining more and
> more ground.  Smalltalk use is growing, as is Lisp -- Super Mario 64's
> world designer was written in Lisp as a matter of fact.
>
> : Paul C
> : UK.
>
> --
> Cya,
> Ahmed
Assembly on the endangered species list? only because Assembly
programmers are more of an elite, not because they are less useful.