From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: C++ briar patch (Was: Object IDs are bad)
Fergus Henderson (···@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU) wrote:
: ········@Bayou.UH.EDU (········@bayou.uh.edu) writes:

[About how pointers are unnecessary for OO...]

: >Of course if there is something that I'm missing that makes this
: >low level construct a necessity for a high level concept (OO) then
: >I would appreciate it if you would enlighten me.

: As has been discussed in detail in this thread, the high-level concept
: that pointers are useful for modelling is object identity.

You don't need pointers for object identity -- that much has been
established in detail in this thread.  Look at Smalltalk, you have
object identity without resorting to pointers, and others have
listed other examples (Lisp).

: Pointers are also useful for representing cyclic data structures.

Again you can represent cyclic data structures without pointers.
Look at Common Lisp -- it uses "tags" to allow you to create
cyclic data structures much more easily, readably, and safely than
pointers.

So again I ask you, why do you need pointers?

: --
: Fergus Henderson <···@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
: WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
: PGP: finger ···@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.