From: ········@bayou.uh.edu
Subject: Re: wretched C++ (Was: Ousterhout and Tcl lost the plot with latest paper)
Alaric B. Williams (······@abwillms.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: On 13 May 1997 07:45:05 GMT, "Alisdair Johnson"
: <········@telsci.co.uk> wrote:

: >>the experience was like realizing that a
: >gigantic practical joke had been played on me.

: >I felt like that when I went from VC++ to Delphi. The problem is that
: >industry uses C/C++ so I have to.... <sigh>.

: [sad violin music]

*ROFL*

: >BTW. What's Scheme?

[Snip -- excellent description of Scheme]

: Scheme does suffer a bit from minimality, but the next standard
: release, R5RS, should hopefully cover must of the conceptual gaps,
: and there is an informal standard extension library called SLIB. A
: major complaint I hear is that Scheme lacks a standard C interface;
: there are many Scheme implementations, each with a different way of
: importing C functions, which has provided hinderances to growth unseen
: by languages like TCL that have definitive implementations!

Speaking of R5RS, any "approximate" dates for it?

: Anyway, aside from these points, Scheme is a great language, and will
: continue to improve as the standard is expanded. For a great
: introduction, read "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs"
: (MIT Press, Abelson and Sussman).

Yes!  Definitely, absolutely, positively check out this book.  This
is an excellent book (some regard it as the finest computer science
text ever written and I agree).  Even if you aren't all that interested
in Scheme, this book will really teach you a lot, and is worth
reading for the concepts alone.  I cannot overplay the excellence of
this book!!!!

: ABW
:             ##### UNIX IS LAME - EVEN LINUX! #####

: (My previous nice signature file was just vapourised by
: a Linux kernel crash that ate almost all of my main
: partition, so we will have to make do with a boring and
: slightly bitter .sig)

*Cringe*  And to think that Linux is going to be on my system soon.
Thanks for giving me one more thing to worry about :)

: Alaric B. Williams, ······@abwillms.demon.co.uk

: FUN: http://www.abwillms.demon.co.uk/alaric/wfewad.htm
: INTERESTING: http://www.abwillms.demon.co.uk/os/
: OTHER: http://www.abwillms.demon.co.uk/

--
Cya,
Ahmed

The grass is never greener,
On the other side,
I'll sit right here and frolic in the dirt and gravel
	"Let the Bad Times Roll" by the Vandals