From: ······@rpi.edu
Subject: What does "error: illegal character #\C-Z" mean?
Hello,

a friend programming on a IBM-compatible PC has sent me some code
and I have tried to run it using XLISP-PLUS version 2.1g for the
Mac. Could you please tell me what

error: illegal character - #\C-Z

means?

Thanks very much!

Sincerely,

Dale Bricker
······@rpi.edu

XLISP-PLUS version 2.1g
Portions Copyright (c) 1988, by David Betz.
Modified by Thomas Almy and others.
Macintosh interface by Brian Kendig.
XLISP-PLUS 3.0 contains contributed code by:
Tom Almy, Mikael Pettersson, Neal Holtz, Johnny Greenblatt, Ken Whedbee,
Blake McBride, Pete Yadlowsky, Hume Smith, and Richard Zidlicky.
Portions copyright (c) 1988, Luke Tierney.
error: illegal character - #\C-Z
TOOLS 1> ; loading "PROFILE.LSP"
error: illegal character - #\C-Z
TOOLS 2> ; loading "STEPPER.LSP"
error: illegal character - #\C-Z

From: Heiko Kirschke
Subject: Re: What does "error: illegal character #\C-Z" mean?
······@rpi.edu writes:

> a friend programming on a IBM-compatible PC has sent me some code
> and I have tried to run it using XLISP-PLUS version 2.1g for the
> Mac. Could you please tell me what
>
> error: illegal character - #\C-Z
>
> means?

Well, it means that you're friend is using the wrong computer for
doing LISP (if an IBM-compatible machine could be called a computer,
at all ;-)

Control-Z is used by MS-DOS as End-Of-Text character; some
brain-damaged editors running under DOS still leave that character as
the very last one in each file they've saved. Remove all Control-Zs
found at the very end of each source or data file; these should be
visible on your Mac editor as '^Z'.

Viele Gruesse, Heiko
--
Heiko Kirschke             EMail: ··············@poet.de