From: Adam P. Jenkins
Subject: Installing ACL4.3 on Linux
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me and
solved it.  I got the free version of Allegro Common List 4.3, for
Linux, and have had it running for several months now on a RedHat 4.0
system at school.  I recently installed RedHat 4.1 on my home computer,
which has a Cyrix 166+, with 32 megs RAM, + 32 megs swap space.  Now the
image that comes on the CD crashes with a segmentation fault.  When I
try running the "build/install_lisp" script to build a new image, I get
an error part way through, that doesn't give much of an explanation.
Here's the output of running build/install_lisp. It mentions something
about too little space at the end, but I think that's just a generic
error message, since I have over 1 gigabyte of free hard drive space,
and 64 megs total of virtual memory.  If anyone else has had this
problem, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

I know which rule it's happening in in the Makefile; it's the rule to
dump the final binary image, the one that reads
$(binary):
and then has a whole bunch of lisp code.  The makefile actually runs ACL
at that point to dump the image, and ACL crashes in there with a bus
error.

Allegro CL 4.3 parameters, based on the input you have given:

ICS (16-bit characters):         no
Default external char :    :ascii
Use Allegro Presto:              no
Put pure objects into:           shared-library
Install Allegro NIS interface:   yes
Install CLIM 2.1:                NA
Install Allegro Composer:        NA
Install Allegro Common Windows:  NA
Install development environment: yes
Xref info recording/loading:     no
Install Common Lisp compiler:    yes
Allegro CL image pathname:       /usr/local/acl4.3/bin/cl
Allegro CL home pathname:        /usr/local/acl4.3/home
Case mode:                       insensitive-upper
Estimated max heap size:         120m bytes
Size of initial oldspace:        12m bytes
Newspace free in image:          2m bytes
Oldspace free in image:          512000b bytes
The "speed" default value:       1
The "safety" default value:      1
The "space" default value:       1
The "debug" default value:       2
U. S. Government customer:       no
Daylight savings time observed:  yes
machine configuration:           Linux nscs21p6.remote 2.0.30 #1 Tue May
6 16:18
:55 EDT 1997 i486

----------------------

Removing ucl, static.o, and nihroutines.o.
cl_nih.c: In function `gethostbyname':
cl_nih.c:670: warning: passing arg 1 of `fread' discards `const' from
pointer ta
rget type
cl_nih.c: In function `gethostent':
cl_nih.c:737: warning: passing arg 1 of `fread' discards `const' from
pointer ta
rget type
cl_nih.c: In function `gethostbyaddr':
cl_nih.c:792: warning: passing arg 1 of `fread' discards `const' from
pointer ta
rget type
Creating ucl
Initial generation spread = 1
Allocated 12585080 bytes for old space
Allocated 2097152 bytes for new space
;;;== FATAL ERROR during build of /usr/local/acl4.3/bin/cl
make: *** [/usr/local/acl4.3/bin/cl] Error 1
*** The build of Allegro Common Lisp failed.
*** Please check that you have enough space and correct any errors
above.

Adam P. Jenkins
···············@cs.umass.edu

From: David Curry
Subject: Re: Installing ACL4.3 on Linux
Adam P. Jenkins (········@cs.umass.edu) wrote:
[...]

When I moved to Redhat 4.1, the same problem occured with CLISP.  All of a
sudden it could no longer dump an image without crashing... hmmm?  Could
it be something with 4.1...

                                           _||_              ____
  For every complex problem, there is a    -||-             /o   \/
  solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. ||  David Curry \____/\
                  -- H. L. Mencken          ||  ······@ponder.csci.unt.edu
From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <··········@hermes.acs.unt.edu>,
David Curry <······@ponder.csci.unt.edu> wrote:
>Adam P. Jenkins (········@cs.umass.edu) wrote:
>: Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me and
>: solved it.  I got the free version of Allegro Common List 4.3, for
>: Linux, and have had it running for several months now on a RedHat 4.0
>: system at school.  I recently installed RedHat 4.1 on my home computer,
>: which has a Cyrix 166+, with 32 megs RAM, + 32 megs swap space.  Now the
>: image that comes on the CD crashes with a segmentation fault.
>
>When I moved to Redhat 4.1, the same problem occured with CLISP.  All of a
>sudden it could no longer dump an image without crashing... hmmm?  Could
>it be something with 4.1...

I have both Allegro 4.3 and CLISP running on RedHat 4.1,
with no hitch.  The only difference I see between your two
setups and mine is that I did not move from a previous
version of RedHat.  4.1 is my first version.

--d

--
hI sWeEtIe: FoR a GoOd TiMe WiTh YoUr CoMmOn LiSp & sChEmE,
cAlL http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dorai.
From: dan corkill
Subject: Re: Installing ACL4.3 on Linux (RedHat 4.1)
In article <··········@hermes.acs.unt.edu>,
David Curry <······@ponder.csci.unt.edu> wrote:
>Adam P. Jenkins (········@cs.umass.edu) wrote:

>: Here's the output of running build/install_lisp. It mentions something
>: about too little space at the end, but I think that's just a generic
>: error message, since I have over 1 gigabyte of free hard drive space,
>: and 64 megs total of virtual memory.  If anyone else has had this
>: problem, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
>
>When I moved to Redhat 4.1, the same problem occured with CLISP.  All of a
>sudden it could no longer dump an image without crashing... hmmm?  Could
>it be something with 4.1...

I'm running Allegro CL 4.3 on RedHat 4.1 (first the standard release,
now the 2.0.30 kernel).  I suspect that you've not installed
something important (new libraries, headers to match, etc.).  I
suspect that if you can rebuild your kernel, you should be able
to rebuild Allegro CL or CLISP.....

-- Dan