From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Scheme (was: An open letter to Digitool ...)
In article <······················@dialup-01-055.austin.io.com>,
·····@io.com (Alfred J. Reich) wrote:

> (4) My escape route?  From what I can tell, this has improved over
> CL.  There aren't many CL vendors and none of the PC/Mac public domain
> system's are complete.  After seeing Lucid go under, I believe it can
> happen to any one of the others.  Complete Scheme systems are abundant
> and cheap compared to CL.

MCL is going to version 4.1 this month adding for example OpenTransport,
Quickdraw 3d (!!!) support and an optimized Dylan-like "primary class"
mechanism for improved CLOS performance.

Harlequin recently has released a very interesting LispWorks for Windows
4.0.0 (running on Windows 95 and Windows NT) for $500 including
application delivery capability. This thingy has a **very** extensive
graphical interface. CLIM is in the works and should appear soon.

Franz is still working on their new version of ACL/PC. I expect
it to be very cool.

Symbolics is still working on the new OpenGenera version.

DOLL seems to be working on CLIM 3.

Sounds not to bad for me.

On the free side there still is work on improving CMU CL for
Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris platforms. A new GC is in the works.

A new movement is coming which aims at creating a LispOS for PCs.
See: http://cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu/lispos/ml/index.html and
http://www.eval-apply.com/LispOS/ .
Subscribe at: ·····················@math.gatech.edu . Prepare
for some heavy traffic.

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/

From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ······@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme,comp.lang.lisp
   Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 00:17:55 +0200

   ·····@io.com (Alfred J. Reich) wrote:

   > (4) My escape route?  From what I can tell, this has improved over
   > CL.  There aren't many CL vendors and none of the PC/Mac public domain
   > system's are complete.  After seeing Lucid go under, I believe it can
   > happen to any one of the others.  Complete Scheme systems are abundant
   > and cheap compared to CL.

   DOLL seems to be working on CLIM 3.

What is DOLL?  Just curious.

--